Butternut Squash Ravioli Sauce Recipe
I love it when a meal tastes like the seasonal flavors and looks like it too! Cheese ravioli perfectly matches this subtly sweet, creamy Butternut Squash Ravioli sauce. The herbs elevate this sauce and make for a savory and complex flavor while still being a simple and quick weeknight meal. And I can’t get over how easily it all comes together!
Adding this to your weeknight menu this fall is a total must! This Butternut Squash Ravioli is ready in just 30 minutes and is truly one of my favorite fall dinners. I know you’ll love it, too!
You’ll Also Love: Butternut Squash Gnocchi
- Cheese Ravioli – Refrigerated ravioli is my favorite option for this recipe. Trader Joe’s has a great one in the refrigerated section!
- Butter – Unsalted or salted, your choice! You can substitute avocado oil or oil olive if you prefer.
- Shallots – Finely diced
- Minced Garlic
- Butternut Squash – Raw and cubed. For this recipe, raw is best as frozen squash could make the dish a bit watery!
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Thyme/Chopped Sage – Dried herbs can also be used! Simply lower the amount to one teaspoon for each.
- Grated Parmesan – You can sub with vegan parmesan, vegan ravioli, and your favorite oil for the butter to make this recipe completely vegan! You can also add extra parmesan to taste.
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
How to Make Butternut Squash Ravioli
With the sauce cooking in one pan, and your ravioli in another, this recipe comes together super easily in just a few steps.
Make the Butternut Squash Sauce
- Sauté the shallots and butter for a few minutes, then add the minced garlic and herbs.
- Pour in half of the broth and the cubed squash.
- Cover and simmer until the squash is tender.
- Transfer to a blender (or food processor), adding the parmesan, salt, pepper, and remaining broth.
- Blend until smooth, adding broth to thin for your desired consistency!
Cook the Ravioli
- Refrigerated ravioli cooks in just 4-5 minutes in boiling water. Boil the water and drop the ravioli in just before you begin blending the sauce.
- Follow the directions directly from the package for exact timing so your pasta is perfectly cooked!
Putting it All Together
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and gently stir together, being careful not to break the ravioli pouches.
- Top with red pepper flakes, and a sprinkle of fresh thyme and enjoy!
Adding toppings and/or proteins to this Butternut Squash Ravioli is a simple way to make it your own! Here are a few ideas for toppings, mix-ins, and how to serve this recipe:
- Roasted Pepitas
- Toasted Garlic Breadcrumbs
- Parmesan Crisps
- Hemp Seeds
- Roasted Broccoli
- Ricotta Cheese
- Roasted Chicken
- Garnish with Fresh Sage Leaves
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
How to Store Leftovers
To store leftovers of the Butternut Squash Ravioli, let cool completely. Place in an airtight storage container and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for 1-2 months.
Reheating Butternut Squash Ravioli Leftovers
Here’s how to reheat Butternut Squash Ravioli quickly and easily:
- Arrange the leftover Butternut Squash Ravioli in a single layer in a microwave-safe container.
- Add a Tablespoon of water and cover the container with a microwave-safe lid. The water and covering it helps prevent the pasta from drying out.
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes and make sure it’s heated through!
- This recipe can also be reheated on the stovetop.
More Healthy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta
- Baked Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
- Creamy Lemon Garlic Pasta
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Butternut Squash Ravioli (30-Minute Recipe)
- 16- ounces cheese ravioli (refrigerated)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots (diced)
- 1 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon chopped sage
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add in the diced shallots and sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, sage, and thyme.
- Sauté an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the cubed squash and 1/2 cup of the chicken or vegetable broth.
- Cover and let simmer until the squash is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to package instructions.
- Once fork tender, transfer to a blender with all remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1/2 cup of broth.
- Blend until smooth, adding more broth if desired to thin it out.
- Combine with the ravioli and top with more fresh thyme if desired. Enjoy!