Gluten-Free Baked Mac & Cheese Recipe
There’s absolutely nothing like a gooey, cheesy, next-level bowl of mac and cheese. And I just have to say – I am SO here for this gluten-free version! It’s the kind of recipe that tastes impressive (three types of cheese, ya’ll!), but it’s also secretly easy to make. Just cook the gluten-free pasta, mix the cheese sauce together, add the pasta in, and bake! Take it to gatherings, make it as a side dish, or add protein and/or veggies to turn it into a weeknight meal. So yummy!
You’ll Also Love: Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Chickpeas & Broccoli Pesto
Shells & Sauce
- Gluten-Free Elbows – Penne, shells, or bowtie pasta works great, too!
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Milk – Plant-based alternatives work too, but you want to make sure that the milk is thick and creamy. Regular milk or whole milk works best, but creamy oat milk or cashew milk (unflavored and unsweetened) are also great options.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Parmesan Cheese – Grated is best.
- Garlic Powder
- Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs – or crushed gluten-free crackers.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Optional: Add freshly chopped parsley, basil, or even sage leaves as garnish!
My Favorite Gluten-Free Pasta Options
Maybe you care about this, maybe you don’t. But I often get asked about what type of alternative ingredients I use! So if you’re interested, here are some of my favorite gluten-free pasta options:
- Barilla Gluten-Free Elbows – Great for an everyday option!
- Banza Chickpea Pasta – Higher in protein AND gluten-free.
- Whole Foods 365 Brand Pasta – Made from corn and rice, this brand is actually really good for most recipes.
How to Make the Best Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
It is truly SO easy to make this Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese recipe! All you need is a pot to boil the pasta, a saucepan for the cheese sauce, and a baking dish or casserole dish. Here’s how to put it together in 7 simple steps:
- Cook the gluten-free pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the gluten-free flour, then slowly pour in the milk and seasoning.
- Let simmer over medium heat to thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat and add in the three types of cheeses.
- Add the pasta back in to the mixture, stir, then pour into a baking dish or casserole dish.
- Top with parmesan and breadcrumbs, then bake at 400 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes!
Tip: feel free to mix in shredded rotisserie chicken or cooked ground turkey before baking for added protein!
Make This Recipe Ahead of Time
Yes, you can absolutely make this Gluten-Free Baked Mac & Cheese ahead of time! Simply make the recipe according to the instructions below, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready, add the parmesan breadcrumb topping and bake!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days! This recipe can also be frozen for later. Let cool in the fridge, then move the container to the freezer and store for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave for a minute or two, stirring often until evenly warm!
More Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes
- Chicken & Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 4-Ingredient Potato Soup
- Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- Mushroom Cauliflower Pizza
- Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Gluten-Free Mac & Cheese
- 1/3 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed crackers
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the milk, then add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- Simmer over low heat until the milk starts to thicken, whisking regularly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheeses until melted.
- Combine the sauce with the pasta and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and extra parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!