Why I’m loving this Easy Healthy Banana Bread Recipe!
- It tastes DELICIOUS – perfectly sweet, full of flavor, wholesome, and crave-worthy.
- It’s easy to make (can be completely made in a blender or food processor).
- You can adjust the toppings and add-ins to your own personal taste!
- This loaf recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and can easily be made vegan.
- You can keep it on hand all week long!
My kids love bananas, so whenever we have a surplus of bananas that are all ripening at the same time, this Healthy Banana Bread recipe is my go-to. I’m obsessed with it, my husband is obsessed with it, and my kids are obsessed with it. It’s just SO. GOOD. I know you’ll love it, too!
Is Banana Bread Healthy?
The word “healthy” is really different for everyone. So is banana bread considered healthy?
Banana bread can be made healthy with fresh bananas, eggs, coconut oil instead of butter, and maple syrup instead of refined sugar. These are all wholesome ingredients! You can also use gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour and rolled oats to add even more nutrition to your loaf. With these easy swaps, banana bread can most definitely be a healthy and nutritious treat!
Here are a few notes (and substitution options) for some of the main ingredients in this Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
Healthy Banana Bread
Ripe Bananas – Use very ripe bananas for this recipe! Regular bananas work too, but they may be a bit tougher to mash or blend (and aren’t as sweet).
Gluten-Free Flour – This loaf recipe uses a 1-to-1 gluten-free flour, but all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour work great, too.
Rolled Oats – A little bit of rolled oats (or old-fashioned oats) help add texture to the loaf slices. Feel free to use chopped walnuts or any mix-in of choice instead!
Coconut Oil – Organic coconut oil at room temperature is best for this recipe. However, softened butter works wonderfully, too!
Eggs – Want a vegan version? Use flax eggs or a vegan egg replacement!
Maple Syrup – A little bit of maple syrup sweetens this bread recipe. Feel free to add a little bit of brown sugar (about 2 Tablespoons) if you are looking to make a sweeter loaf!
Oat Sugar Streusel (Optional)
The oat sugar streusel on top adds a little bit of sweetness and texture that really brings this banana bread together! Made from rolled oats, melted coconut oil, and brown sugar, it’s optional but definitely so delicious.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread (5 Easy Steps)
There are two ways to make this Healthy Banana Bread recipe: in a blender/food processor, or by hand. Either way, it’s super easy to make and the results are always delicious!
Making Healthy Banana Bread in a Food Processor or Blender
This is my preferred method because it’s so quick and easy! To make Healthy Banana Bread in a food processor or blender, simply:
- Add the peeled bananas to a food processor (or blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add in the other liquid ingredients and blend.
- Combine the dry ingredients and pour into the food processor.
- Lightly blend until just well combined.
- Pour into a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan lined with parchment paper and bake!
Tip: you can also turn this banana bread into banana muffins, chocolate banana bread, or chocolate chip banana bread!
Making Healthy Banana Bread by Hand
To make banana bread by hand:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl.
- Add in the other liquid ingredients and whisk or stir until smooth.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and bake!
Adjusting the Sweetness of This Recipe
On it’s own, the level of sweetness for this Healthy Banana Bread recipe is mild to moderate, depending on what you’re used to. However, the optional oat and brown sugar streusel on top that’s included in this recipe definitely add more sweetness!
If you’re looking for a more sweet recipe, be sure to add that streusel on top. You can also (or alternatively) add 2 Tablespoons of raw sugar or brown sugar to the batter!
- Brown Sugar (sprinkled on top)
- Honey Drizzle
- Coconut Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Sliced Almonds
- Chocolate Drizzle
- Nuts of Choice
- Coconut Butter (on top for serving)
How long does Healthy Banana Bread keep?
Banana bread can be kept at room temperature for 2-3 days and in refrigerator for 5-7 days! It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
To freeze, let the bread cool completely and slice. Place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, then place individual serving sizes in airtight containers. Store in the freezer!
To enjoy after freezing, simply thaw the banana bread in the refrigerator the night before. Place it in the microwave for a few seconds, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
More Banana Recipes
Have leftover or ripe bananas? Here are a few ideas for what to make with them:
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Protein Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Chia Seed Smoothie
- 10-Minute Healthy Banana Pancakes
- Matcha Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Banana Coconut Cream Pie Overnight Oats
Healthy Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- The BEST Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Gluten Free Blueberry Bread
- Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Did you make this delicious Healthy Banana Bread recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Healthy Banana Bread
Oat Sugar Streusel (Optional)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend the bananas in a food processor or blender until they become a puree.
- Add in the coconut oil and blend until smooth.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, oats, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the food processor and lightly blend until just well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9"x5" loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the streusel ingredients together and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutrition does not include the optional streusel. The streusel adds about another 30 calories per slice!