Mini Apple Pie Recipe
I’ve been loving these Mini Apple Pies for when I don’t want to commit to a whole pie, but I’m craving that delicious fall pie goodness! These apple pies are so easy to make and I love that they can be stored as individual portions for later. Or make them as a fun, creative treat for holiday gatherings! Use the flaky, buttery gluten-free homemade pie crust recipe below, or save time by using a store-bought pie crust. Either way, these pies will make your house smell amazing and are such a fun twist on classic apple pie!
You’ll Also Love: Mini Pumpkin Pies
The ingredients for this mini pies recipe are simple and easy to find. You can also easily make these apple pies vegan by using plant-based vegan butter and skipping the egg wash over the pie crust!
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter (cold and cubed)
- Ice Water
Apple Pie Filling
- Peeled & Finely Diced Apples
- Light Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Egg (beaten, for egg wash)
How to Make Mini Apple Pies
It’s so easy to put this recipe together! Here’s how to make Mini Apple Pies:
1. Mix the ingredients for the gluten-free pie crust dough.
I highly recommend pulsing them in a food processor! Alternatively, mix the flour, salt, and sugar, then finely cube the butter and whisk it in. Slowly add the cold water and mix until a dough is formed.
2. Chill the dough.
If you have time and can plan ahead, it’s best to chill the gluten-free dough for at least 30 minutes. You can also chill it overnight!
3. Make the Filling.
Mix apples, brown sugar, gluten-free flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl. Set the mixture aside.
4. Bake the Pies.
Roll out the dough, cut 4-inch circles out, and press each one into a muffin pan until all 12 cavities are filled. Fill each crust with the apple pie filling and bake for 20-24 minutes at 425 degrees F.
Tip: After baking, let cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin, then remove them (with the help of a butter knife) and place them on a wire rack to cool. This keeps moisture from building up and helps the pie crust stay perfectly flaky!
Tips for Serving
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or even a dollop of Greek vanilla yogurt on top of each pie to take things up a notch! You can also add a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of caramel sauce. I recommend serving them warm!
Storing This Healthy Apple Pie Recipe
To store these mini, healthy apple pies, let them first cool completely. Place them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days!
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Mini Apple Pies (Gluten-Free)
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (cold and cubed)
- 5-7 Tablespoons ice water
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 cups peeled & finely diced apples
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg (beaten, for egg wash)
Mix Pie Crust Dough
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Pulse just to combine.
- Add in the butter and pulse to combine until the butter is broken up and mixed into the flour.
- Slowly add in the ice water, one tablespoon at a time until a smooth dough forms. It should hold together well but shouldn’t be too wet.
- Transfer to plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Make Pie Filling
- Meanwhile, combine the diced apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Set aside.
- Spray a 12 cavity muffin tin with oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Bake the Mini Apple Pies
- When the dough is chilled, roll it out to 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- Use a 3 1/2-inch to 4-inch round cookie cutter to cut holes in the dough.
- Carefully place each one in the muffin tin.
- Scoop the filling into the muffin tins.
- Use the remaining dough to create a lattice top or simply add the dough on top.
- Whisk the egg and brush on top of each pie, then sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Let cool, then carefully lift out with a knife. Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream.