Skillet Sweet Potato Kale Hash (Recipe Video)
It truly doesn’t get any easier than this 30-Minute Skillet Sweet Potato Kale Hash! While this recipe definitely falls into the breakfast category, I’ve honestly been LOVING this for a delicious vegetarian dinner lately.
Sautéed sweet potatoes, crunchy kale, eggs cooked to taste, and topped with cilantro and avocado. Serve with whole wheat toast and you have (in my opinion) one of the BEST easy meals ever! Here’s what you’ll find in this post:
- Healthy Sweet Potato Hash Nutrition
- How to Make Sweet Potato Kale Hash in a Skillet
- Tips for Making Sweet Potato Hash
- Meal Prepping This Recipe
- More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Skillet Sweet Potato Kale Hash Recipe
You’ll Also Love: Poached Egg & Avocado Breakfast Salad
Healthy Sweet Potato Hash Recipe Nutrition
Sweet potato has so much vitamin A and C, and it’s also a great source of fiber and potassium. This makes it a super healthy addition to any meal! The eggs also contain lots of protein and healthy carbs for energy, as well as healthy fats in the avocado. Sweet potato hash is a great healthy meal for pretty much any time of the day!
- Olive Oil
- Diced Red Onion
- Sweet Potatoes – peeled and cubed.
- Minced Garlic
- Kale (finely chopped)
- Cilantro for garnish
Tip: Feel free to add other chopped veggies, like bell peppers and celery. Also, be sure to get all of these ingredients and more on Thrive Market (big box store prices, but organic, wholesome products)!
How to Make Sweet Potato Kale Hash in a Skillet
Sweet potato hash with kale and eggs is actually super easy to make! Here’s how to put it together in just 30 minutes:
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a large cast-iron skillet (or a non-stick skillet).
- Add in cubed sweet potato and spices, then cook for about 15 minutes, covered and stirring every 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and sauté for about 1-2 minutes.
- Make 4 wells and add an egg in each one.
- Cook to your liking, then top the entire dish with cilantro.
- Serve with avocado and whole wheat toast!
Tips for Making Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Make sure to cut the sweet potato into even cubes so they cook at the same time.
- Save time by buying pre-cut sweet potatoes from the grocery store!
- Feel free to use spinach instead of kale.
- You can add extra spices to taste such as cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, or a dash of cayenne.
- Add hot sauce for a little kick!
Meal Prepping This Recipe
I wouldn’t recommend making the entire recipe in advance, since the kale and eggs are best when freshly cooked. However, you could cook the sweet potatoes in advance, store them in an airtight container, and then just quickly and lightly sauté them with a little bit of oil for a few minutes when you’re ready to make the recipe!
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Meal Prep Breakfast Egg Bagels
- Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Almond Flour Waffles
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins
Sign up for my email list to get my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Skillet Sweet Potato Kale Hash
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 1/2 cups cubed and peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups kale (finely chopped)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 medium avocado
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 more minute.
- Add in the sweet potato and spices and cook for about 15 minutes, covered but stirring every 5 or so minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add in the kale and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in the hash and add the eggs. Cover and cook to your liking.
- Garnish with the cilantro and serve with toast and avocado. Enjoy!