Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni
Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni that's perfect for a quick and easy dinner! Comforting, hearty, lightened-up, and delicious. This is a recipe the entire family will love!
Servings 6 Servings
- 8 oz. whole wheat rigatoni
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage seasoned
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups Hiland Dairy Milk
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper to taste
Cook the rigatoni according to directions, then drain and set aside.
Spray a large sauce pan with cooking oil and sauté the mushrooms for about 10 minutes (or until browned).
Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
Cook the sausage and the onion flakes in the same pan for about 12-15 minutes (or until fully cooked).
Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
Melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Add in the almond flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
Add in the milk, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.
Bring to a simmer and whisk continuously until the creamy sauce begins to thicken (about 7-10 minutes).
Remove from heat and add the rigatoni, mushrooms, and sausage back into the pan.
Mix everything together, serve, and enjoy!
- The sauce will thicken as it cools and is mixed back in with everything, so make sure that it only slightly reduces in the cooking process.
- If the sauce is too thick, simply add in 1/4 cup more milk at a time (up to 1/2 cup). If it's too thin, add in 1 Tbsp of flour at a time (up to 4 Tbsp).
- Before making this judgement, be sure to give the sauce the right amount of time to thicken while whisking continuously!
- Top this dish with parmesan and fresh parsley if desired!
Calories: 558kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 581mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 409IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 2mg