This Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti Recipe can be made in 30 minutes and is perfect for a quick, healthy weeknight dinner! Made with mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, cottage cheese, and delicious ziti pasta. Healthy comfort food at it’s finest!
Easy, healthy pasta recipes are recently my new go-to for weeknight dinners (have you tried The BEST Easy Healthy Lasagna Recipe? SO GOOD). Not only can they typically be made in 30 minutes or less, but I love that I can refrigerate the leftovers and have them throughout the week! Especially with a 6 almost 7 month old baby in our lives now. There’s no time for complicated dinners, so I’m all about quick and easy dinners right now. This Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti Recipe is a total lifesaver!
Watch this video tutorial on how to make this Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti recipe!
What you need for this Vegetarian Baked Ziti recipe
Ziti or penne pasta
In this case, I actually used penne because I wasn’t able to find ziti at the grocery store that day. However, I have also made this recipe with ziti and it works both ways!
Bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini work great in vegetarian baked ziti! However, there are many vegetables that can also be used. This includes summer squash, onion, cauliflower, eggplant, and chickpeas.
Cottage cheese instead of ricotta
Many baked ziti recipes are made with ricotta. However, using cottage cheese is a great, healthy alternative! It has less calories, less fat, and tastes amazing in this baked ziti.
Loving this Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti Recipe? Then you’ll love these other healthy pasta recipes:
- The BEST Easy Healthy Lasagna Recipe
- Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
Easy Vegetarian Baked Ziti Recipe
- 8 oz. box ziti or penne pasta dry
- 4 cups pasta sauce
- 1 red bell pepper medium
- 10 oz. mushrooms
- 1 zucchini small
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese small curd
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- fresh basil optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to directions and drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the vegetables into small pieces.
- Place the vegetables in a casserole dish, drizzle with olive oil, and add salt/pepper/dried oregano to taste.
- Bake the vegetables for about 10 minutes (or until they start getting soft).
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.
- Layer half of everything as follows: pasta, pasta sauce, vegetables, cottage cheese, mozzarella.
- Repeat a second layer of everything in the casserole dish.
- Top the casserole dish with parmesan and fresh basil (optional).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!