This post is sponsored by Hiland Dairy but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni
Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni that’s perfect for a quick and easy dinner! Comforting, hearty, lightened-up, and delicious. This is a recipe the entire family will love!
Don’t you just love it when comfort food recipes are also lightened up and delicious? It’s the ultimate win! Today, we’re sharing one of our favorite dinner recipes for gathering around the table with your family. This Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni is made with whole wheat rigatoni (or your choice of regular or gluten-free pasta), seasoned Italian sausage, fresh mushrooms, Hiland Dairy milk, and almond (or whole wheat) flour. Top with a little parmesan and fresh parsley for a dinner recipe you and your family can look forward to!
RELATED: Creamy Salmon Pasta Recipe
Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni Video
The rigatoni pasta – As mentioned above, we used whole wheat rigatoni in this recipe. However, feel free to use regular rigatoni or any type of pasta!
The mushrooms – The mushrooms in the recipe take it to the next level. Want to add more vegetables? Chopped, roasted asparagus, broccoli, or zucchini all pair with the flavors of the creamy sauce and sausage!
The sausage – For this recipe, we used seasoned bulk Italian sausage. Another option would be to use ground beef, turkey sausage, or ground turkey!
The milk and butter – We love using Hiland Dairy milk and unsalted butter for the creamy sauce! With added nutrients and protein, along with the quality of their products, it’s the perfect fit for making delicious, family-friendly recipes. We used whole milk, but any type of Hiland Dairy milk should work in this recipe!
How to make Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni (Steps)
1. Cook the pasta.
2. Sauté the mushrooms and set aside.
3. Cook the sausage and set aside.
4. Melt the butter over medium-high heat, then add in the almond flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
5. Add in the milk, garlic powder, and salt/pepper and bring to a simmer, whisking continuously.
6. Whisk until the sauce begins to thicken (about 7-10 minutes), then remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients back in!
If the sauce is too thick, simply add in 1/4 cup more milk at a time (up to 1/2 cup). If it’s too thin, add in 1 Tbsp of flour at a time (up to 4 Tbsp). Before making this judgement, be sure to give the sauce the right amount of time to thicken while whisking continuously!
Creating our favorite family recipes and gathering around the table has been one of our favorite ways to make lasting memories lately! And this Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni recipe is perfect for that. We love letting our little guy get in on the preparation process and he loves getting to see it all come together!
Want to take your cooking to the next level and make special memories with your family? Visit hilanddairy.com/together and sign up for a chance to win:
- 1 Year Worth of Dairy (delivered in coupons)
- One-on-One Cooking Lesson with Chef Alli via video chat
It’s the perfect way to get the family involved in turning everyday recipes into fun, sweet memories for life!
More comforting, lightened-up dinner recipes
- The BEST Beef Stew (Quick & Easy)
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops And Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
Creamy Mushroom Sausage Rigatoni
- 8 oz. whole wheat rigatoni
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (seasoned)
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups Hiland Dairy Milk
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Cook the rigatoni according to directions, then drain and set aside.
- Spray a large sauce pan with cooking oil and sauté the mushrooms for about 10 minutes (or until browned).
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the sausage and the onion flakes in the same pan for about 12-15 minutes (or until fully cooked).
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in the almond flour and whisk until a paste is formed.
- Add in the milk, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk continuously until the creamy sauce begins to thicken (about 7-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the rigatoni, mushrooms, and sausage back into the pan.
- Mix everything together, serve, and enjoy!
- The sauce will thicken as it cools and is mixed back in with everything, so make sure that it only slightly reduces in the cooking process.
- If the sauce is too thick, simply add in 1/4 cup more milk at a time (up to 1/2 cup). If it’s too thin, add in 1 Tbsp of flour at a time (up to 4 Tbsp).
- Before making this judgement, be sure to give the sauce the right amount of time to thicken while whisking continuously!
- Top this dish with parmesan and fresh parsley if desired!
Leave a Reply