Don’t you just love it when comfort food recipes are also lightened up and healthyish? It’s the ultimate win! Today, we’re sharing one of our favorite dinner recipes for the cold months ahead. This Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni is made with whole wheat rigatoni (or our favorite lower-carb rigatoni), seasoned Italian sausage, fresh mushrooms, your choice of milk, and almond (or whole wheat) flour. Add parmesan on top for a dinner recipe you and your family can look forward to!
RELATED: Creamy Salmon Pasta Recipe
How to make Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni
The rigatoni pasta
As mentioned above, we LOVED using Banza higher-protein, lower-carb rigatoni in this recipe. However, feel free to use regular or whole wheat rigatoni!
The mushrooms in the recipe take it to the next level. Want to add more vegetables? Chopped, roasted asparagus, broccoli, or zucchini all pair with the flavors of the creamy sauce and sausage!
For this recipe, we used seasoned bulk Italian sausage. Another option would be to use ground beef, turkey sausage, or ground turkey!
The cream sauce
And now for the best part…the cream sauce! Whisk together milk (we used regular, but unsweetened almond or cashew milk work great, too!), almond flour (or whole wheat flour), garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Once you have cooked the other components of the recipe, simply pour the sauce into the pan and allow to reduce while mixing. Combine with the other ingredients and done!
More delicious, comforting dinner recipes:
- The BEST Beef Stew (Quick & Easy)
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops And Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mushroom & Spinach Pasta Bake
Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni
- 8 oz. whole wheat rigatoni
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage (seasoned)
- 1 Tbsp onion flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Cook the rigatoni according to directions, then drain and set aside.
- Spray a large sauce pan with cooking oil and sauté the mushrooms for about 10 minutes (or until browned).
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the sausage and the onion flakes in the same pan for about 12-15 minutes (or until fully cooked).
- Remove the sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Whisk the olive oil, milk, garlic powder, almond flour, salt, and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the cream sauce into the sauce pan and simmer on medium-high for about 3-4 minutes (or until it reduces a little bit), mixing continuously.
- Lower the heat and add the rigatoni, mushrooms, and sausage back into the pan.
- Mix everything together, serve and enjoy!