As the weather cools down and we approach the fall season, cozy, warm, and delicious curry is a total must. There are many variations of curry recipes, so today we’re sharing a healthy vegan version that’s loaded with nutrition and flavor! Here are some of the highlights:
- Lentils and chickpeas are perfect for curry as they’re loaded with protein!
- The creamy curry sauce is the best balance of sweet, savory, and spice. It doesn’t require curry powder (in case you don’t have it on hand) and is adjustable!
- Fresh or dried basil can be added to this recipe to take it to another level.
- This chickpea curry recipe can be meal prepped and refrigerated or frozen for later!
Let’s get started!
RELATED: Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
How to make the BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
What you’ll need:
- Coconut oil
- Coconut milk
- Spices, like cumin powder, turmeric, garlic, and ginger
- Agave (or honey, if not you’re not making this vegan)
- Canned chickpeas
- Dry lentils of choice
- Crushed red pepper (adjust for spicy level)
- Dried or fresh basil (optional)
Feel free to add tomatoes, spinach, chopped carrots, kale, or any other vegetables you want to try out in this curry recipe!
TIP: Get the best, highest quality ingredients for this delicious curry at Thrive Market and get 25% off HERE!
Freezing chickpea curry
Want to make this chickpea curry recipe in advance and freeze it for later? Simply store the recipe in an airtight container (without the lid) in the refrigerator for about an hour. Then place the lid on the container and move it to the freezer. Store curry in the freezer for up to 3 months!
To reheat, microwave the curry for about 3-5 minutes (depending on the amount of the recipe).
More curry recipes you’ll love:
Watch how to make this Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
The BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup (or honey)
- 15 grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 1/4 cups chickpeas (canned)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- crushed red pepper (to taste)
- fresh or dried basil (optional)
- Bring the dry lentils and water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils are softened (and the water is absorbed).
- Add in the coconut oil and stir.
- Add in the coconut milk, cumin, turmeric, garlic, ginger, and agave.
- Add in the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, and desired amount of crushed red pepper.
- While allowing the curry to simmer, add in the grape tomatoes and chickpeas.
- Cook for about 7-10 minutes.
- Serve and top with fresh or dried basil.