Every once in a while, I decide to get away from my easy overnight oats and power bowl recipes and do something fancy. “Fancy”. It doesn’t happen very often because, well, life. And also because I come from the microwave generation where the world of real cooking is a foreign and difficult concept. Please don’t judge me! I still love and so appreciate amazing cooking, but sadly it just doesn’t fit into my everyday reality.
But today, I decided to get all fancy pants on ya! Not that this meal is complicated in any way whatsoever, but at least it looks fancy, right?
It turns out these super easy Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Chickpeas & Broccoli Pesto can be made in under 30 minutes!
Now about this creamy, savory broccoli pesto situation. It’s different than regular pesto in that it’s lightened up and loaded with nutrients! Simply blend broccoli, basil leaves, and a little bit of oil. Olive oil is traditional, but in this case I used avocado oil and loved it!
A few things about this recipe: be sure to spray your baking pan with a little bit of oil to keep the sweet potato halves from burning on the bottom. Trust me! I may or may not have set my fire alarms off the first time I made this. Don’t worry, a little bit of oil will save the day!
Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Chickpeas & Broccoli Pesto
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with a little bit of oil, then cut sweet potatoes into halves and place skin-side down.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until soft.
- While the potatoes are baking, blend the broccoli, basil, and oil to create the pesto. Set aside.
- Cook the chickpeas over medium heat with coconut oil, cumin, and paprika for about 5-10 minutes.
- Top each sweet potato with chopped red cabbage, chickpeas, pesto, and pine nuts. Serve warm and enjoy!