Watch: The BEST Pumpkin Curry Soup Recipe!
Friends, I am so obsessed with the flavors in this Pumpkin Curry Soup recipe. Every single spoonful is just full of deliciousness! Not to mention the cozy fall vibes that come with it. I love topping this soup with pepitas, a little bit of extra coconut milk or even plain yogurt, and fresh basil or spinach. And it’s so easy to make, too!
You’ll Also Love: The BEST Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
Coconut Oil – I love the flavor that coconut oil adds to this recipe. Avocado oil (or any type of cooking oil) also works great!
Yellow Onion – Finely chopped yellow onion adds so much delicious flavor to this soup. Alternatively, you can use onion powder!
Garlic – I used freshly minced garlic, but garlic powder is a great substitution, too.
Pumpkin Puree – Canned pumpkin puree is the base of this fall soup recipe!
Vegetable Stock – Vegetable stock, chicken stock, or broth are all great options.
Curry Powder – Yellow curry powder adds a touch of spicy, earthy flavors that make for the BEST soup!
Ginger – I like using ginger powder, but fresh ginger is another great alternative.
Coconut Milk – Full-fat coconut milk works best (at room temperature, if possible). Simply stir the milk before adding it to the soup to make sure it’s smooth!
Honey – While many curry recipes use brown sugar (also an option in this case), I prefer to use honey to balance the warm flavors and add a touch of sweetness. Adjust the amount to your own personal taste!
Crushed Red Pepper (optional) – Love spicy curry? Add crushed red pepper to take things up a notch!
How to Make Pumpkin Curry Soup
This one-pot soup is perfect for busy weeknights! All you need is a saucepan, stock pot, or dutch oven (your choice). Here’s how to quickly make Pumpkin Curry Soup on the stovetop:
- Cook onions and garlic in coconut oil until soft.
- Add in pumpkin puree and vegetable stock, allowing to simmer.
- Add in curry powder and ginger.
- Whisk in coconut milk, honey (to taste), and crushed red pepper (optional).
- Remove from heat and enjoy warm!
RELATED: Vegetarian Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry
Notes About This Soup
- The coconut milk works best with this recipe at room temperature, if possible.
- Stir the coconut milk before adding it to the soup to make sure that it’s smooth.
- Add honey to taste!
- While this soup is pretty smooth in texture, you can also use an immersion blender to blend the onions into the soup.
- Adjust the spicy level with crushed red pepper to taste (or omit it completely).
What to Pair with Pumpkin Curry Soup
One of my favorite topics: pairing ideas! I love pairing this Curry Pumpkin Soup with a yummy grilled cheese sandwich, rotisserie chicken, or a piece of french or sourdough bread. But the options are limitless! Here are a few other pairing ideas:
Baked Spinach Chicken Meatballs (with pasta)
Cheesy Chicken And Rice Stuffed Peppers
Quinoa & Mushroom Stuffed Acorn Squash
Easy Apricot Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Recipe
There are so many bowls toppings and mix-in ideas that pair deliciously with this fall soup recipe!
- Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds)
- Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
- Chopped Spinach
- Fresh Basil
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Chopped Walnuts
- Pecan Halves
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sliced Almonds
- Roasted Chickpeas
How to Store Pumpkin Curry Soup
This soup is so easy to store for later, making it perfect for weekly meal prep and planning! Here’s how to store Pumpkin Curry Soup:
Refrigerator – Let the soup cool and place it in an airtight container with a lid. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheat for a few minutes in the microwave when ready to enjoy!
Freezer – Let the soup cool in the fridge for about an hour. Transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months! You can let the soup thaw in the refrigerator the night before you’re ready to enjoy or simply heat it up in the microwave straight from the freezer.
More Fall Soups You’ll Love
- Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
- The BEST Crockpot Vegetable Soup
- Veggie-Loaded Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Pumpkin Curry Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (or 1-2 teaspoons onion powder)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 15 ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat and cook the onions for about 5-7 minutes (or until soft).
- Add in the minced garlic, salt, and pepper, then stir for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and vegetable stock.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the curry powder and ginger, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in the coconut milk, honey, and crushed red pepper (optional) and cook until warm, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Leave a Reply