What is Chunky Monkey Ice Cream?
The inspiration behind this creamy Chunky Monkey Smoothie is Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey Ice Cream! The delicious banana ice cream base comes with chocolate fudge chunks and chopped walnuts, making it one of my personal faves for dessert. I wanted to create a plant-based smoothie that embodied these yummy flavors and made for a healthier version of the ice cream treat!
Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie – The BEST Healthy Treat!
Make this smoothie for yourself, your friends, your kids, and basically everyone ever. It’s THAT good! Think milkshake meets ice cream, but in healthy protein smoothie form. And the best part is that it’s so easy to make. Trust me – this Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie will quickly become an everyday favorite!
You’ll Also Love: 15 Immune Boosting Smoothies
Here are a few notes about the ingredients and substitution options in this recipe:
Frozen Bananas – Freeze bananas ahead of time for this smoothie or buy frozen bananas from the store for this recipe.
Cashew Milk – Cashew milk, almond milk, and coconut milk (so yummy in this smoothie) are all delicious options. Really any plant-based milk works great!
Almond Butter – I love adding almond butter, cashew butter, or any nut butter for that signature Chunky Monkey flavor (and not to mention healthy fats + protein)!
Vanilla Protein Powder – This plant-based vanilla protein powder is one of my favorites!
Ice Cubes – Feel free to adjust the amount of ice cubes to taste! More ice cubes will mean a thicker, more ice cream-like texture in this smoothie.
Vegan Chocolate Syrup – I love this chocolate syrup for mixing or blending into this smoothie! Another option is to blend in the same amount of cocoa powder (or cacao powder) for that chocolate taste.
Chocolate Chips + Walnuts (Toppings) – These dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped walnuts take this Chunky Monkey Smoothie to another level!
How to Make a Chunky Monkey Smoothie
It truly doesn’t get any easier than this! Here’s how to make a Chunky Monkey Smoothie in 3 easy steps:
- Blend frozen bananas, cashew milk, almond butter, vanilla protein powder, and ice cubes together.
- Add vegan chocolate syrup and stir to mix in, or blend it in the blender instead.
- Top with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts!
RELATED: 15 BEST Smoothie Bowl Recipes
Toppings & Variations
Want to mix it up? These toppings and variation ideas add so much flavor!
- Coconut Chips
- Chopped Pecans
- Cacao Nibs
- Banana Slices
- Shredded Coconut
More Smoothie Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Butter Smoothie (No Banana)
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie Recipe
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- Blend the frozen bananas, cashew milk, almond butter, protein powder, and ice cubes together until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into 2-4 glasses.
- Divide and mix in the chocolate syrup into each smoothie (or blend into the smoothie).
- Top each smoothie with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.