I love making smoothie bowls in the morning (or for an afternoon snack). Creamy, cold, perfectly sweet and delicious, it’s like having dessert for breakfast! The best part? You can add toppings to your heart’s desire!
RELATED: Granola & Yogurt Bowls (4 Ways)
Here’s What You’ll Find in This Post:
- What Is a Smoothie Bowl (And Why)?
- How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
- Topping Ideas
- Making Ahead of Time
- 15 BEST Smoothie Bowl Recipes
What Is a Smoothie Bowl (And Why)?
In short, a smoothie bowl is just what it sounds like – a smoothie in a bowl. The smoothie has been made with a slightly thicker consistency, making it easier to add toppings and eat with a spoon!
So why a smoothie bowl instead of making a regular smoothie? If you enjoy eating your breakfast instead of drinking it, then it’s definitely for you. The second reason you may prefer a smoothie bowl over a regular smoothie is that you can add toppings!
Are Smoothie Bowls Healthy?
While the word “healthy” is relative and unique for each person, smoothie bowls are definitely full of nutritious vitamins, wholesome carbs, and can have added protein. The toppings in smoothie bowls can also add extra nutrition!
RELATED: 15 Immune Boosting Smoothies
How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
For the most part, the ingredients for almost any smoothie bowl recipe come down to 3 things: frozen fruit, milk (of choice), and banana (to thicken). Here’s an overview for how to whip up a smoothie bowl in 10 minutes or less:
- Blend frozen fruit and milk of choice.
- Add in a banana and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
How to Thicken a Smoothie Bowl
There are 5 easy ways to thicken a smoothie:
- Add more banana.
- Blend in more frozen fruit.
- Use less milk.
- Add protein powder.
- Use greek yogurt instead of milk.
Substitute for the Banana
Don’t want banana in your recipe? Use fresh avocado instead. Avocado helps to thicken the smoothie in the same way that banana would, but also gives it a silky, creamy texture that can take a smoothie bowl to the next level!
Adding Protein Powder
Adding protein powder to your healthy smoothie bowl recipe is always a great idea! It’s best to go with a vanilla or unflavored protein powder for most recipes. Another option is to use collagen powder for added nutrition! Either way, remember to adjust the thickness of your recipe by adding in more milk (2 Tablespoons at a time) if you use protein powder.
You’ll Also Love: The 5 Best Vegan Protein Powders (Honest Review)
It’s all about the toppings! Here are some of the best smoothie topping ideas that can add delicious flavor, texture, and nutrition:
- Chopped Walnuts
- Chia Seeds
- Unsalted Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Hemp Seeds
- Flax Seed
- A Drizzle of Honey or Maple Syrup
- Fresh Fruit (mixed berries)
- Nut Butter (peanut butter, almond butter, etc)
- Cacao Nibs
- Dried Fruit
Making Ahead of Time
Feel like you don’t have time to make a smoothie in the morning? Good news – you can make them in advance! To make it ahead of time:
- Blend the ingredients.
- Pour into a mason jar or airtight container.
- Freeze for up to 3 months!
When you’re ready to enjoy, simply place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on the microwave), taking it out every 15 seconds to stir and make sure it doesn’t melt too much. Add your toppings and enjoy!
15 BEST Smoothie Bowl Recipes
Ready to get started? Here are the 15 BEST Smoothie Bowl Recipes to start your day off in a nutritious and delicious way!
1. Strawberry Acai Smoothie Bowl
Refreshing, nutritious, and perfect for an easy, healthy breakfast. This Strawberry Acai Smoothie Bowl recipe can be made in less than 5 minutes. It’s also vegetarian and gluten-free!
2. Matcha Banana Smoothie Bowl
This Matcha Banana Smoothie Bowl recipe is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, calcium, protein, and potassium! It only takes about 5 minutes to make, and it tastes like ice cream for breakfast. There’s no better way to start the day than with this healthy vegan and easy-to-make matcha smoothie bowl!
3. Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
You’ll love this Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl! It’s Easy to make and delicious. Vegetarian, gluten-free, and only 3 ingredients! Such a great and healthy breakfast meal plus you can pile on as many toppings you like. It’s one of the best smoothie bowl recipes around!
4. Banana Split Smoothie Bowl
Made with chocolate, delicious strawberries, and bananas, this Banana Split Smoothie Bowl could technically be a dessert!
5. Pineapple Mango Smoothie Bowl
Smooth, fruity and delicious, this Pineapple Mango Smoothie Bowl is bursting with summery tropical flavors and is topped with fresh berries and granola. Beach vacation in a bowl? Yes, please!
6. 5-Minute Fall Acai Bowls
These Acai Bowls are vegetarian, fun and easy, and perfect for a busy morning go-to. You can customize these healthy breakfast bowls with a whole list of different toppings and flavors so you can eat them all year round and not get bored!
7. Peaches & Cream Smoothie Bowl
Low in sugar and high in flavor, this Peaches & Cream Smoothie Bowl is what breakfast dreams are made of.
8. Cranberry Smoothie Bowl
With just 4 basic ingredients, this cranberry smoothie recipe is healthy, beautiful, and super simple!
9. Quick and Easy Pear Smoothie Bowl
You are going to love the creaminess of this easy pear smoothie bowl. It is comfort food in a bowl, and with pears in season, you can’t beat this healthy breakfast!
10. Strawberry Mango Smoothie Bowl
This strawberry mango flavor variation is thick, sweet, and creamy. It’s the perfect fruity base for delicious toppings! This makes for a satisfying breakfast or healthy snack.
11. Mango Banana Smoothie Bowl
This vegan mango smoothie bowl looks bright and fresh, loaded with tropical flavors, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. If this isn’t a great way to start the day, I don’t know what is!
12. Strawberry Ginger Smoothie Bowl
Creamy and sweet with a kick of spicy ginger, this immune boosting Strawberry Ginger Smoothie Bowl is a fresh and HEALTHY breakfast done in just minutes! Packed with nutrients, low calorie and made WITHOUT added sugars.
13. Mango Turmeric Smoothie Bowl
Creamy, sweet and absolutely delicious, this immune-boosting Mango Turmeric Smoothie Bowl makes the perfect quick breakfast. It’s full of wonderful flavors, and made without added sugars. This bowl will surely brighten your day!
14. Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
This delicious recipe with pureed pumpkin adds classic fall flavors to a delicious pumpkin smoothie bowl that is packed with tons of nutrients and easy to make for quick morning breakfasts.
15. Berry Orange Smoothie Bowl
This Berry Orange Smoothie Bowl contains frozen berries, spinach, avocado, fresh orange, coconut milk and mint. A delicious blended smoothie you can make any time of the year – even when berries are not in season!
Did you make this smoothie bowl recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
15 BEST Smoothie Bowl Recipes
- 2 cups frozen fruit (pineapple, mango, berries, or any type of frozen fruit)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 medium banana
- Blend the frozen fruit and milk together.
- Add in the banana and continue to blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings of choice.
- This recipe makes a very large smoothie bowl! It could almost serve as 2 smoothie bowls if adding lots of toppings.
- Feel free to adjust the thickness of the smoothie bowl by adding more (or less) milk.
- Can also add protein powder to the blender for added nutrition (this will thicken the smoothie bowl, so be sure to adjust the milk accordingly).
- Fresh avocado makes for a great substitute for the banana!
Leave a Reply