This post is sponsored by Oklahoma Natural Gas.
There’s nothing like a warm, cozy bowl of curry-flavored stew on a cold winter day! And it’s especially amazing when it’s easy to make. Here’s what I’m loving about this Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry recipe:
- It’s vegetarian – perfect for meat-free days!
- Simple, wholesome ingredients.
- It can be made entirely in a dutch oven (or stock pot).
- It’s SO flavorful and delicious!
I also love making this recipe on the stovetop with Oklahoma Natural Gas! Cooking with gas makes it easier to control the temperature of the food and helps cook this recipe evenly. It’s by far my favorite way to cook delicious and gourmet recipes!
RELATED: 15 Healthy Winter Soups
This recipe may be gourmet and loaded in delicious flavors, but the ingredients are simple and easy to find. Here’s what you’ll need!
Onion/Garlic – I used freshly chopped onion and minced garlic in this recipe. However, feel free to substitute with dried onion flakes and garlic powder if needed!
Sweet Potatoes – Freshly peeled and cubed sweet potatoes work best for curry. In a rush? Use pre-cut sweet potatoes instead!
Lentils – Brown lentils take this recipe to another level, adding texture and flavor!
Yellow Curry Powder – The best curry flavors in this stew come from a yellow curry powder, adding the right amount of sweet, savory, and spicy.
Ginger – A dash of ground ginger balances things out and adds a flavorful kick.
Vegetable Stock – Vegetable stock is the base for this recipe and keeps it vegetarian.
Coconut Milk – The coconut milk in this recipe balances the flavors of the curry powder and makes for a delicious stew! Full fat or lite coconut milk are both great options.
Kale – Chopped kale is great in winter stews and adds the most perfect texture!
How to make this Vegetarian Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry
Making this sweet potato curry is actually VERY easy! Cooking it on the stovetop with Oklahoma Natural Gas makes for an easy process and even temperatures. Here’s how to make it in a few, simple steps:
1. Turn the gas on your stove to medium heat.
2. Cook the onion and garlic in the coconut oil in a dutch oven.
3. Add in the sweet potatoes, lentils, curry powder, and ginger.
4. Add in the stock and cook until the vegetables are soft.
5. Add in the coconut milk and kale.
More wholesome curry recipes
- Easy Vegan Potato Curry
- The BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
- Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
More vegetarian winter soups & stews you’ll love
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup Recipe
- Vegan Ramen Soup w/ Zucchini Noodles
- Lentil Turmeric Detox Soup
- Easy Weeknight Vegetarian Borscht
For more delicious recipes like this Vegetarian Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry, check out GoodvsGourmet.com!
Vegetarian Lentil & Sweet Potato Curry
- Cook the onion and garlic in the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add in the sweet potatoes and lentils, then mix.
- Add the yellow curry powder and ginger.
- Mix, coating the sweet potatoes and lentils in the seasoning.
- Pour the stock over everything and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cover for about 30 minutes, or until everything is soft.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Turn off the heat and add in the crushed red pepper (optional) and kale.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Full fat or lite coconut milk are both great options in this recipe.
- Use pre-cut and peeled sweet potatoes to save on time!