What is a Birria Quesadilla?
A Birria Quesadilla is a type of quesadilla made with Birria meat. Birria is a Mexican dish traditionally made in a soup or stew with goat meat. However, alternative proteins can be used. Cooked low and slow in a pot, this tender meat is a famous dish from Central Mexico. Of course, many areas have variations and processes for creating the dish!
In this case, I’m using whole wheat flour tortillas (lower carb tortillas can also be used), shredded cheese, my Slow Cooker Birria Meat recipe (I love making a big batch and having it on hand all week long), and thinly sliced mushrooms for these quesadillas. And trust me – every bite is sooooo delicious and full of flavor!
You’ll Also Love: Birria Ramen Bowls
You only need 4 basic ingredients to make this recipe! Here’s what you’ll need:
Whole Wheat Tortillas – Feel free to use any kind of large tortilla you like! Whole wheat, low-carb, or just regular flour tortillas are all great options. Even corn tortillas can be delicious!
Monterey Jack Cheese – I like to buy Monterey Jack cheese blocks and grate them myself. However, some grocery stores carry shredded Monterey jack cheese. Regular cheddar, mozzarella, or a shredded cheese mix is delicious in these quesadillas, too!
Birria Meat – My Slow Cooker Beef Birria Meat recipe is PERFECT for these quesadillas! Make a big batch of it at the beginning of the week and have it on hand for yummy quesadillas, tacos, and so more all week long. The spices in the shredded beef along with the flavor of the Birria sauce (or broth) are truly next level!
Sliced Mushrooms – Thinly sliced mushrooms add the perfect, hearty touch to this recipe.
Mix up these quesadillas with these delicious filling and topping ideas:
- Sliced Avocado
- Roasted Corn
- Pickled Radishes
- Fresh Cilantro
- Chopped Spinach
- Sliced Peppers
- Oaxaca Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sliced Red Onion
How to Make Birria Quesadillas
I like making these Birria Quesadillas extra crispy on the outside so that they’re almost crunchy, making them perfect for dipping in the Birria broth. Here’s a quick overview for how to make Birria Quesadillas:
1. Dip The Tortilla in Birria Broth
Dip each side of the tortilla in the Birria broth (or brush the broth on each side).
2. Fold Quesadilla
Place the tortilla in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the ingredients to one side. Fold the other side of the tortilla over.
3. Toast on Each Side
Toast the quesadilla on each side in the pan until the cheese is melted and the outside is slightly crispy!
4. Repeat + Cut Into Sections
Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients. Then cut each quesadilla into sections and use any leftover Birria broth as a dipping sauce. Add your favorite toppings or pairings and enjoy!
How to Store
Once fully cooled, these quesadillas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. And while they are always better fresh, they can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop!
RELATED: Greek-Inspired Turkey Pita Sandwich
More Easy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Chimichurri Chicken Bowls
- Chicken Shawarma Grain Bowls
- Healthy Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Birria Quesadillas Recipe
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups Slow Cooker Birria Meat
- toppings of choice
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dip a large tortilla in Birria broth (or brush onto both sides of the tortilla) and place on the warm skillet.
- Add cheese, sliced mushrooms, and about 1/4 cup of the Birria meat to one side of the tortilla.
- Fold the other side of the tortilla over.
- Toast each side of the quesadilla for about 1-2 minutes each.
- Repeat with the other tortillas and remaining ingredients.
- Cut the quesadillas into sections; use any leftover broth as a dipping sauce!