Greek-Inspired Ground Turkey Pita Pockets Recipe
I’m not sure if it’s me just craving warmer days ahead, but I’ve been on such a Mediterranean food kick lately. The fresh, crunchy ingredients combined with flavorful meats and sauces are the perfect combination as we (hopefully) wind down this cold winter and head into spring!
If you’ve never had a stuffed pita pocket or pita sandwich before, get excited! These Ground Turkey Pita Pockets are full of fresh ingredients, flavorful ground turkey (yes, really), and topped with the best creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce. Make them ahead of time for lunch the next day or for a deliciously fresh dinner recipe that everyone will love (and in 30 minutes or less – YAY)!
RELATED: 30+ BEST Easy Meal Prep Recipes
Ingredients for Pita Wraps
Here’s what you’ll need for this easy, healthy lunch or dinner recipe!
- Whole Wheat Pita
- Ground Turkey – Lean ground turkey or ground beef are both great options!
- Red Onion
- Bell Pepper – Any color of bell pepper works.
- Olive Oil
- Spinach – Or any lettuce of choice!
- Grape Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese
- Seasoning – A mix of paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper make up the ground turkey seasoning.
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Plain Greek Yogurt – I love the creamy texture of whole milk Greek yogurt, but low-fat or nonfat work great, too.
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt/Pepper/Dill – Fresh or dried dill are both delicious in this recipe!
How to Make Greek-Inspired Turkey Pita Sandwich
I love that these pita sandwiches can be made in just 30 minutes! They truly are so perfect for weeknight dinners or lunches. Here’s how to make this Greek-Inspired Turkey Pita Sandwich recipe:
- Cook the chopped red onion and bell pepper.
- Add the ground turkey and seasoning.
- Add lemon juice and continue cooking until the turkey is fully cooked.
- While the turkey mixture is cooking, whisk together the tzatziki sauce ingredients.
- Cut the pitas into halves and stuff them with the cooked turkey, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, and a generous drizzle of the tzatziki sauce!
You’ll Also Love: 15+ No-Cook Recipes (Quick, Easy, & DELICIOUS!)
Other Delicious Filling Ideas
- Fresh Cilantro
- Tahini Dressing
- Fresh Parsley
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
How to Store Pita Bread Sandwiches
Leftovers – The leftover cooked ground turkey, tzatziki sauce, pita bread, sandwich vegetables, and feta cheese should all be stored in separate containers until ready to enjoy again. Keep the components in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days!
Meal Prepping/Make Ahead – Similarly to leftovers, it’s important to store meal-prepped ingredients in separate containers. To meal prep this recipe, simply cook the ground turkey according to the directions. Store the different sandwich components in separate airtight containers and fill the pita pockets when ready to enjoy!
More Healthy Lunch Ideas
- Slow Cooker Fiesta Ranch Chicken Wraps
- Healthy Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
- Meal Prep Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Spicy Southwest Salad Recipe (Chick-Fil-A Copycat)
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Greek-Inspired Turkey Pita Sandwich
Ground Turkey Recipe
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dry dill)
- 1-2 teaspoons water or white wine vinegar (to thin to desired consistency)
- 4 medium whole wheat pitas, cut into halves
- 1-2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1-2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Cook the chopped red onion and chopped bell pepper in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey and continue cooking, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add in the seasoning (paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and pepper). Continue to cook for another 7-10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and continue to cook for another 6-8 minutes (or until the ground turkey is fully cooked). Remove from heat.
- While the turkey is cooking, whisk the tzatziki sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
- Stuff each pita half with the cooked ground turkey, chopped spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
- Add a generous drizzle of the tzatziki sauce and enjoy!
- Nutrition facts are for 1 whole pita sandwich (2 stuffed halves).
Leave a Reply