Chimichurri Chicken (Easy Bowl Recipe)
Friends, I cannot even begin to describe how good these Chimichurri Chicken Bowls are. It’s my new fave for dinner! Even my picky toddler is obsessed with this chicken. Trust me, you’ll want to save this recipe and keep it on repeat. Every bite is so full of flavor!
These bowls are also INCREDIBLY easy to make. Make the chimichurri sauce and marinate the chicken the night before (if you can – if not then no worries!), then throw this recipe together in about 30 minutes. You can’t go wrong with these delicious, flavorful bowls!
You’ll Also Love: Hot Honey Chicken Bowls
Chimichurri Chicken Recipe – VIDEO
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
Chicken – Thawed chicken breast works best for this recipe (since the chicken is cubed for the bowls). However, chicken thighs would work great, too!
Fresh Parsley – The fresh parsley in this recipe is truly the star of the chimichurri sauce! It brings an earthy, bright flavor that pairs so well with other ingredients.
Garlic/Onion – Freshly minced garlic and chopped onion is best for this recipe.
Oregano – Dried oregano adds so much flavor. You can also use fresh or dried cilantro!
Ancho Chili Powder – Highly recommend using ancho chili powder! There’s nothing like the smoky taste that it brings to the sauce. If you can’t get it, then regular chili powder mixed with a little bit of smoked paprika can make a great substitute!
Red Wine Vinegar – The red wine vinegar adds a bright, tangy flavor that balances the ingredients of this recipe.
Oil – There are many options when it comes to the type of oil you use for chimichurri sauce. Olive oil is common, but I also like how avocado oil tastes in it!
Rice – Use any type of cooked rice! Fluffy jasmine rice is great, but brown rice works great, too. Cilantro lime rice adds tons of flavor, too!
Bell Pepper – I used chopped red bell pepper, but any type of pepper works great. Chili peppers are delicious, too!
Avocado – Creamy avocado slices are the perfect finish to these Chimichurri Chicken Bowls.
How to Make Chimichurri Chicken
Making Chimichurri Chicken is actually quite a bit easier than you might think! Here’s how to put this recipe together in 4 easy steps:
1. Blend the Chimichurri Sauce
Create the chimichurri sauce by pulsing the sauce ingredients in a food processor to create a finely minced texture (instead of a puree). Alternatively, herbs, onions, and garlic can be finely chopped by hand and then combined with the other ingredients!
2. Marinate the Chicken
Place half of the chimichurri sauce and cubed chicken in a bag or container and marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can even do this the night before and marinate the chicken overnight. Be sure to save the remaining chimichurri sauce for later!
3. Cook the Chimichurri Chicken
Cook the marinated chicken in an oven-safe skillet to brown, then place in the oven to finish cooking.
4. Layer the Bowls
Layer the bowls with fluffy cooked rice, chimichurri chicken, chopped peppers, creamy avocado, and extra chimichurri sauce!
What to Serve with Chimichurri Chicken
The best part? You can really pair this recipe with so many delicious side dishes! Here are a few ideas:
- Spanish Rice & Beans
- Diced Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad
- Side Salad
- Grilled Vegetables
- Chopped Red Chili
- Top with Red-Pepper Flakes
How to Store/Meal Prep
Prepping this meal in advance or storing leftovers for later? This recipe reheats deliciously! Chimichurri chicken can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Healthy Dinner Ideas You’ll Love
- The BEST Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Creamy Brie Pasta Recipe
- Baja Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- Lemon Basil Pesto Salmon
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Chimichurri Chicken (Easy Bowl Recipe)
- 2 medium chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 large avocado (diced)
- 1 large bell pepper (diced)
Make The Sauce
- Combine the parsley, garlic, onion, oregano, chili powder, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a food processor.
- Pulse to create a finely minced texture (not a puree).
- Mix in the olive oil and set aside.
Marinate The Chicken
- Mix the cubed chicken and 1/2 of the chimichurri sauce in a container or freezer bag.
- Marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Cook The Chimichurri Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the avocado oil in an oven-safe skillet (such as cast-iron) over medium heat.
- Add in the marinated chicken and cook for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the skillet in the oven and continue to cook the chicken for about 12-15 minutes.
Make The Bowls
- Layer each bowl with cooked rice, chimichurri chicken, the remaining chimichurri sauce, diced avocado, and diced bell peppers.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The chicken should be marinated for at least 30 minutes. However, it can be marinated for longer, even overnight!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.