I love Mexican food! Being half-Hispanic and growing up in Texas, Mexican food is a way of life for me. While in college I might not have eaten the healthiest versions of Mexican food out there, as an adult I love finding a recipe I used to eat and transforming it into a healthy option. As soon as Cinco de Mayo hits and summer starts creeping in, I find myself reaching for these recipes weekly. If you’re craving fresh and delicious options for a healthy Mexican meal, then have I got some great recipes for you!
RELATED: 25+ BEST Healthy Taco Recipes
In This Post
- Ways to incorporate Jalapeño peppers
- Wholesome Main Dish Mexican Recipes
- Healthy Mexican Side Dishes
- Healthy Mexican Salad Recipes
- Healthy Mexican Bowl Recipes
- Mexican Desserts for Cinco De Mayo
30+ Healthy Mexican Recipes that are perfect for Cinco De Mayo (or any time!)
Just because it’s Cinco de Mayo doesn’t mean that you can’t have Mexican all year round (like we do)! But if you are going to any Cinco de Mayo celebration or just want to create your own mini-celebration at home, then you’re in the right place. These healthy Mexican recipes are the perfect meals to share and can be doubled to create more. Tacos, casseroles, and side dishes are the easiest kinds of recipes to take to any fiesta, so you won’t have to worry about making a dish all can enjoy. If you love spicy food then feel free to kick these up a notch by adding jalapeños, paprika, chili powder, or additional salsa! These recipes keep the hotness to a minimum so that you can add your take.
Ways to incorporate Jalapeño peppers
- Raw– a jalapeño can be eaten fresh, that is uncooked, and topped onto salads, burgers, or even guacamoles. This kind of jalapeño will be quite spicy as it doesn’t have much moisture.
- Grilled – Grill or roast your jalapeños for a charred taste that goes well with any meat dish such as a Carne Asada.
- Pickled– You can buy already pickled jalapeños or make your own version. These are soft, mild, jalapeños that work great as a topping to a dish such as tacos.
- Stuffed – Stuffing jalapeños is a great option for an easy side dish. Remove the jalapeño seeds to make them less spicy, fill with cheese, and bake or grill for a quick and delicious use of jalapeños.
Wholesome Main Dish Mexican Recipes
1. Easy Mexican Barbacoa Tacos
A delicious and classic Mexican Barbacoa recipe that makes the perfect sharing or family night! It’ll be the perfect addition to your healthy Cinco de Mayo gathering.
2. Creamy Healthy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
What’s not to love about cheese, chicken, black beans, and avocado? This is the easiest throw-together dish your crew will crave! A great healthy Mexican food recipe to keep around all year long.
3. Instant Pot Carne Asada Tacos
Tired and true this carne asada taco recipe is fast, easy, and delicious! Healthy, filling, and the perfect Mexican dish for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
4. Sriracha Lime Shrimp Tacos Recipe
Never enough tacos! Create a surf & turf edition with these delicious and fool-proof shrimp tacos and wow your Cinco de Mayo crowd with something healthy.
5. Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
Vegetarian, creamy, flavorful, and ready to party! These enchiladas were meant to be shared with everyone, especially anyone craving a healthy Mexican dish.
6. 5-Ingredient Vegan Enchiladas
Super simple to make with only 5-ingredients, these welcoming vegan enchiladas wholesome and so tasty! Share this with your Cinco de Mayo friends, or keep it all year round as a healthy Mexican food option.
7. Spicy Salmon Tacos w/ Avocado Lime Dressing
Salmon and tacos, the perfect combo of healthy, delicious, and crave-worthy! Your Cinco de Mayo crowd won’t know what hit them.
8. Slow Cooker Beef Carnitas Tacos
Not only so tasty but also the most convenient tacos around! Throw the carnitas into your slow cooker and you’ve got an epic healthy Mexican meal waiting to be devoured.
9. Baked Mahi-Mahi Tacos
Bring your tropical vacation right to your home with these delish mahi-mahi tacos! You’ll feel the ocean breeze coming right on through with this healthy Mexican dish.
10. Healthy Chicken Fajita Tacos
Keep it classic and clean with these simple chicken fajita tacos that are full of color, a bit of spice, and a lot of flavor! Make them for Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo, either way you’ll know it’s a healthy Mexican food option your family will love.
11. 30-Minute Blackened Salmon Tacos
Score big with these blackened Salmon tacos that take that regular taco to the NEXT level! Only 30-minutes and you’ll a dish that will rival your local taco joint!
12. Chicken Fajita Casserole
Ooey cheese goodness transforms a regular chicken fajita meal into a kiss-your-fingers-good healthy Mexican dish! Wow your crowd with a casserole that will hit all the right spots.
13. Spicy Southwest Butternut Squash Casserole
Spicy, cheesy, veggie filled, and healthy? Count us in! This delectable healthy Mexican dish is the perfect bake and take dish for any fiesta filled activity.
Healthy Mexican Side Dishes
14. 30-Minute Mexican Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Bring the perfect and healthy cauliflower rice side dish to compliment any taco, carne asada, or enchilada dish out there! Cinco de Mayo just got so healthy!
15. Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash
Delicious and with a great presentation, this quinoa butternut squash side dish will wow the Cinco de Mayo crowd with flavor and look!
16. Spanish Rice & Beans
Keep it true with a classic rice and bean recipe! Welcome in the staple dish and let the flavors speak for themselves with this delicious and healthy Mexican food recipe.
17. Quinoa Gallo Pinto
A healthy twist on a Central American dish! Try Gallo Pinto made with quinoa instead of rice and enjoy a classic dish to its fullest!
18. Cilantro Lime Slaw
Cilantro and lime are regulars in Mexican cuisine! Transform your regular coleslaw into a healthy Mexican flavor dish.
Healthy Mexican Salad Recipes
19. Easy Healthy Taco Salad w/ Ground Turkey
Keep it fresh with a better take on the taco salad! Use ground turkey and make this dish light and healthy for a true healthy Mexican food option.
20. Chili Mango Zesty Quinoa Salad
Beautiful and delicious! This salad is the mother of all salads with chili mango flavors to capture all the spicy goodness in one healthy Mexican recipe!
21. Mexican Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
This salad holds nothing back! Get all your Mexican flavors and spices in one mega salad for maximum share-ability for any party, especially a Cinco de Mayo bang.
22. Mexican Corn Salad
Mexican corn is a super popular dish, but have you ever tried it in salad form? It’s amazing and the perfect companion to any delicious healthy Mexican meat dish!
23. The BEST Easy Salsa Recipe
You can’t think Mexican without thinking chips and salsa! Create a super easy and light salsa that’s the perfect companion to any chip or as a salad topping. Bring on the healthy Cinco de Mayo party!
Healthy Mexican Bowl Recipes
24. Low-Carb Mexican Meal Prep Bowls
Here’s to a healthy, low-carb Mexican option! Just because it’s a fun dish doesn’t have to mean it’s carb-loaded. Add in all the flavor and nix the carbs!
25. Meal Prep Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls
Love burritos? Try this deconstructed version of a burrito! Anything can become a bowl, and this makes it easy to take and share wherever you go.
26. Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls
Absolutely full of flavor, spice, and that yummy kick that you find in healthy Mexican food. Your vegan and non-vegan friends won’t know what hit ’em!
27. Vegan Burrito Bowl
You won’t miss any meat or cheese with this vegan bowl! Throw it together and create a salad or keep it separate for a true bowl experience. Whatever you choose, it’ll be a delish and healthy Mexican food recipe!
28. Chipotle Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
Sweet potato mixed with chipotle spices create a dish that’s perfect for any Mexican-themed party celebration, or a weeknight in! So good you’ll make it over and over.
Mexican Desserts for Cinco De Mayo
29. Slow Cooker Mexican Hot Chocolate
Nothing goes better after dinner than a Mexican hot chocolate full of spice and well, chocolate! Wonderfully rich, this dessert drink will make your mouth water, even as you’re making it.
30. Vegan Tres Leches Cake
Dairy-free eaters rejoice! This Tres Leches cake is now available for everyone to eat. Throw this staple Mexican dessert together for any crowd!
31. Mexican Pots de Creme Vegan
Delicious and classy, create this Mexican dessert and keep everyone happy. You can place them into their own ramekins for an extra special touch!
32. Easiest Flan Recipe
Flan is a very common Mexican dessert, and it’s so simple to make! Wow your family and friends with this delicious custard cake and bring on the authentic flavor.
Not every dessert comes in cake form! Bring on this creamy rice drink that is full of cinnamon and the perfect amount of sweetness for a delicious healthy Mexican recipe.
Whether you’re celebrating or just having a themed night, these healthy Mexican dishes are the perfect touch for a fun, flavorful meal!
More Latin-Inspired Recipes
30+ Healthy Mexican Food Recipes
- 1 Serving Favorite Healthy Mexican Main Dish
- 1 Serving Delicious Side Dish
- 1 Serving Amazing Dessert!
- Choose your favorite healthy Mexican main dishes, side dishes, salads, bowls, and desserts!
Leave a Reply