Dinner Tonight: The BEST Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe!
Friends….this recipe is LIFE. I love every recipe that I make for Jar Of Lemons, but there’s just something so special about this one. It’s SO GOOD! I originally made this for my picky toddler, and he absolutely loved it! It’s a big deal because he pretty much doesn’t want anything to do with chicken unless it’s a chicken nugget, so the fact that he loved this one makes this mama so happy.
This Peanut Butter Chicken recipe is easy to make, made with simple ingredients, and is so perfect for the entire family. Put it together in 30 minutes for a meal that you’ll definitely want to keep on your weekly dinner menu!
Can You Make Chicken with Peanut Butter?
Of course! It may sound crazy, but peanut butter mixed with honey, minced garlic, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), ginger powder, rice vinegar and broth makes for the best sauce to cook chicken into. Simply cook it until it slightly thickens and reduces for a sauce that can take a chicken recipe to the next level!
The ingredients for this Peanut Butter Chicken recipe are simple and easy to find. Here are a few notes about what you’ll need:
Coconut Oil – Any type of cooking oil works great, but I love the lightly sweet coconut taste that the coconut oil adds to the chicken! It really comes together with the peanut butter sauce.
Chicken Breast – I used chicken breast cut into cubes for this recipe.
Onion – Yellow onion works best, but I used red onion since it’s what I had on hand at the time.
Peanut Butter – Creamy or crunchy peanut butter both work great!
Coconut Aminos (or Soy Sauce) – Feel free to use regular soy sauce, tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), or coconut aminos in this recipe.
Honey – The honey adds a sticky, sweet texture and flavor to this Peanut Butter Chicken recipe. Another option is to use agave syrup instead!
Rice Vinegar – The rice vinegar in this recipe gives it a brightness that brings the entire sauce together.
Tomato Sauce – The amount of tomato sauce, in my opinion, is the perfect amount. However, you can adjust the tomato sauce in this recipe! If you’re not a fan of it, feel free to use 1 Tablespoon instead of 2 or omit it completely.
Broth – Chicken broth or vegetable broth add so much flavor!
Seasoning – A mix of cumin, ground coriander, salt, and pepper add tons of flavor to the chicken. However feel free to use any seasoning mix that sounds good to flavor the chicken! For the peanut butter sauce, I used a mix of freshly minced garlic (can use garlic powder), ginger powder, and onion powder. You can also adjust the amount of ginger to your own taste!
How to Make Peanut Butter Chicken
Here’s how to make this easy Peanut Butter Chicken recipe in no time at all!
- Cook the chicken in a skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Mix the peanut butter sauce ingredients together.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and simmer (stir often).
- Remove from heat and add to your favorite rice and vegetable pairings!
You’ll Also Love: Honey Balsamic Chicken & Veggies
Peanut Butter Sauce for Chicken (Tips & Adjustments)
Want to know how to make the BEST peanut butter sauce for chicken? Here are a few tips:
- Adjust the amount of simmer time to the desired thickness. The longer the sauce simmers, the thicker it will get!
- Keep in mind that the sauce will slightly thicken once it cools.
- Add chili flakes to the sauce if you want a spicy kick!
- Feel free to use more ginger in the sauce if you like that flavor.
Toppings & Pairings
The best way to pair Peanut Butter Chicken is with rice and delicious vegetables. Here are a few ideas for yummy toppings and pairing ideas!
- Brown Rice
- Basmati Rice
- Roasted Broccoli
- Shredded Carrots
- Green Onions
- Red Bell Peppers
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Sesame Seeds
How to Store Peanut Butter Chicken
Did you know that you can store this recipe in the refrigerator, freeze it for later, or even meal prep it in advance? It’s so good, even reheated! Here’s how to store Peanut Butter Chicken.
Refrigerator – Place the chicken in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Freezer – Place the chicken in an airtight container and let cool in the fridge for 1 hour. Then move to the freezer and store for up to 3 months!
Meal Prep – Feel free to make Peanut Butter Chicken bowls in advance and place in airtight meal prep containers. Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months! To reheat, simply heat up in the microwave, stirring often, until evenly warm.
More Wholesome Chicken Recipes
- Dairy-Free Tuscan Chicken
- Hot Honey Chicken Bowls
- Baked Spinach Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Bake
- Paleo Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Peanut Butter Chicken Recipe
Peanut Butter Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or gluten-free tamari soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- brown or basmati rice
- shredded carrots
- roasted broccoli
- crushed red pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in the chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cubed chicken, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the peanut butter, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), honey, rice vinegar, tomato sauce, broth, garlic, ginger, and onion powder together.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and stir until the chicken is coated evenly.
- Allow the sauce to come to a light simmer.
- Simmer for about 6-8 minutes (or until the sauce slightly thickens and reduces), stirring often.
- Remove from heat and serve the peanut butter chicken over rice and with vegetables of your choice!