This wholesome spin on classic hot honey chicken may be one of my most favorite things! It’s INCREDIBLY easy to make, and so, sooooo delicious. I love that it works as a hearty weeknight meal for the family, but it also works great as a meal prep recipe!
The flavor of the hot honey sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. And the good news is that the amount of spicy can be adjusted to your own personal taste! If you’ve been on the search for a new, inspired weeknight dinner recipe that’s also healthy, quick, and easy, then these Hot Honey Chicken Bowls are for you.
RELATED: 100+ Quick Healthy Dinners (30 Minutes Or Less)
Table of Contents
For the Hot Honey Chicken
Chicken – Boneless chicken breasts are best for this recipe.
Honey – Honey is the base of the hot honey sauce, but agave works great, too!
Sriracha – Add a kick and tons of flavor with sriracha!
Cayenne + Crushed Red Pepper – The cayenne and crushed red pepper in this recipe are where you can really adjust the level of spicy to your own taste. A little bit goes a long ways!
Garlic – Freshly minced garlic is definitely the way to go. It adds so much flavor! But if you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, garlic powder is another great option as well.
For the Bowls
Zucchini – The zucchini is sliced, cubed, or spiraled and then roasted for these Hot Honey Chicken Bowls.
Summer Squash – Roasted summer squash adds so much flavor, texture, and nutrition!
Carrots – Fresh, shredded carrots add a coolness to balance the spice and warmth of the meal.
Avocado – Creamy and delicious!
Rice (or Quinoa) – Any type of rice or quinoa works great as a base in these bowls. You can also make these with cauliflower rice!
Lime – A squeeze of lime brings the flavors together in this recipe.
Ranch – Last but not least, a drizzle of healthy ranch dressing or creamy avocado lime sauce!
How to Make Hot Honey Chicken
Making hot honey chicken is so easy! Simply:
- Mix up the hot honey sauce.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet for about 15 minutes.
- Add in the squash.
- Coat everything with hot honey sauce and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Tips for Success
- Be sure to let the chicken fully cool after baking. This allows the meat to rest and the sauce to “set”!
- It’s best if the chicken is placed on top of the squash in the skillet before it goes into the oven.
Putting the Bowls Together
Once the hot honey chicken is cooked and ready to go, simply combine the ingredients for the bowls and enjoy! Start with the cooked rice, then add in the roasted squash, fresh carrots, creamy avocado, a squeeze of lime, and a drizzle of ranch. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and enjoy!
There are so many ways to make these bowls you own. Mix it up with these other Hot Honey Chicken Bowl ideas, additions, or variations!
- Sweet Potato
- Mashed Potatoes
- Green Beans
Meal Prep These Hot Honey Chicken Bowls
Meal prepping these bowls is just as easy as making them fresh. Simply make the meal according to directions, plate the bowls into meal prep containers, and store in the fridge for healthy lunches and dinners all week long!
Tip: Leave the avocado out until you are ready to enjoy!
RELATED: 30+ BEST Easy Meal Prep Recipes
This Hot Honey Chicken Bowls recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months!
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Bake
- Paleo Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Cuban Mojo Chicken and Rice
- Creamy Healthy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Easy Apricot Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Hot Honey Chicken (Easy Bowl Recipe)
Hot Honey Chicken
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 medium boneless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sriracha (or any type of hot sauce)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice (or quinoa)
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 cup healthy ranch dressing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a skillet, cook the chicken in the oil for about 5-7 minutes on each side on the stovetop.
- Mix the honey, sriracha, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, and crushed red pepper to create the sauce.
- Set aside 2 Tbsp of the hot honey sauce.
- Add the sliced zucchini and summer squash to the skillet and remove from heat.
- Place the chicken on top of the squash and pour the hot honey sauce over it, coating it evenly and drizzling some on the squash as well.
- Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes (or until the chicken is fully cooked), stirring the vegetables halfway through.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and coat evenly in the remaining 2 Tbsp of hot honey sauce.
- Serve each bowl with cooked rice, zucchini, summer squash, shredded carrots, avocado slices, hot honey chicken, lime juice, and a drizzle of ranch!
- These Hot Honey Chicken Bowls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or the freezer for up to 3 months!
- These bowls are pretty spicy, so feel free to tone down the heat by using a mild hot sauce instead of sriracha. You can also use tomato sauce if you really want mild version of this Hot Honey Chicken!
Leave a Reply