This 30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes recipe is incredibly easy to make, loaded with veggies, gluten-free, dairy-free, and perfect for a quick weeknight meal or freezer meal!
It’s been a minute since I’ve had sloppy joes.
And I can blame non other than my pregnancy cravings for making this recipe come to life! No, I’m not currently pregnant, but I was when I created this 30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes recipe. I thought I’d make a bunch of recipes and store them up in the freezer for post-baby, and thank goodness that I did! Our little bundle of joy arrived about 5.5 weeks early.
Now we’re enjoying freezer meals (like this Casserole) and NOT having to cook, which is pretty great!
This 30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe is the ultimate healthy comfort food!
Y’all. It’s no joke! Everyone needs to try out this recipe. It doesn’t get much easier than this!
How to make Healthy Sloppy Joes:
- Cook the ground turkey (or beef) until brown in a large pan or skillet.
- Cut the veggies into small pieces and add into the skillet.
- In the meantime, mix the sauce separately.
- Add the sauce in while everything is still cooking and let simmer.
- Serve on whole wheat buns, gluten free buns, lettuce wraps, or however you’d like!
That’s it! Serve and enjoy or freeze for later.
And when it comes to freezing this recipe, simply put it in a freezer safe container, place in the fridge for about 1 hour without the lid, then put the lid on it and freeze. This recipe can last in the freezer for about 6 months!
I’m LOVING these Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE Food Storage Containers to store these 30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes in. Not only are they freezer safe, but they’re microwave safe, airtight, 100% leakproof, and dishwasher safe. ALL the heart eyes, y’all! I also love the way they stack in the fridge/freezer. You can grab some of these HERE on Amazon!
Other freezer recipes you’ll love:
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Freezer Meal)
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops And Potatoes W/ Apples (Freezer Meal)
- Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs (Freezer Meal)
- Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (Freezer Meal)
- Honey Balsamic Chicken & Veggies (Freezer Meal)
Or sign up to grab your FREE EBOOK copy of 6 Healthy Freezer Meals to make them all in one day (with instructions + recipe cards + grocery list)!
30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe (Freezer Meal)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Place the ground turkey in a large pan or skillet and cook over medium-high heat.
- Once the turkey is about half way done cooking, add in the mushrooms.
- When the turkey is nearly finished cooking, add in the chopped peppers and black beans.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft and the turkey is brown.
- While everything is cooking, mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl to create the sauce (adding salt/pepper to desired taste).
- Pour the sauce over the turkey and veggies.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve and enjoy or freeze for later!