Savory Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs in a creamy, delicious sauce that are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or freezer meal!
When Cody and I had our baby, one of our favorite meals that people brought us were meatballs. They’re easy to freeze, they can be paired with a ton of different sides, they’re delicious, and they taste like all things comfort food!
Today, I’m sharing my favorite Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs with you guys and just know you’ll love it 😉 Whether you’re making these for you and your family tonight for dinner, freezing them for later, or taking them to a friend, this recipe is one of the best!
How to make these Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs:
Typically, Swedish meatballs are made with ground beef (like these Lebanese BBQ Meatballs). However, today we’re making this recipe with ground turkey for a lower calorie alternative!
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the meatballs.
- Roll into meatballs.
- Cook or bake for about 20 minutes!
To make the Swedish meatball sauce:
Whisk together butter, beef broth, milk, and flour in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and let reduce/thicken before adding in the meatballs!
What is traditionally served with Swedish meatballs?
Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with boiled or mashed potatoes. However, they also go great with rice or noodles!
For a lower carb option, try serving them over cauliflower or broccoli rice. Another option is to top them over zucchini noodles!
How to freeze this Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs recipe:
Use a good freezer container, like these Rubbermaid BRILLIANCE Food Storage Containers! Not only are they freezer safe, but also microwave safe, dishwasher safe, 100% leakproof, airtight, and stack on top of each other perfectly. I used the large size for this recipe, but you can check out the entire collection HERE! To freeze, remove the containers from the refrigerator after about 1 hour and place in the freezer.
Be sure to check out the other freezer meals in this series!
- Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (Freezer Meal)
- Honey Balsamic Chicken & Veggies (Freezer Meal)
- 30-Minute Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe (Freezer Meal)
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Freezer Meal)
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops And Potatoes W/ Apples (Freezer Meal)
Or sign up to grab your FREE EBOOK copy of 6 Healthy Freezer Meals to make them all in one day (with instructions + recipe cards + grocery list)!
Low Carb Turkey Swedish Meatballs (Freezer Meal)
Turkey Swedish Meatballs
- 1 slice low-carb bread
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Swedish Meatball Sauce
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp almond flour or flour of choice
- Lightly toast the bread and break into small pieces.
- Drain the chickpeas.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas.
- Add in the toasted bread, ground turkey, egg, and spices.
- Mix together and roll into meatballs.
- In a saucepan, add the olive oil and cook the meatballs over medium-low heat (covered) until fully cooked, rotating every 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- Place the butter in the saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in the milk and broth, bringing to a simmer.
- Add in the flour, continue to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add in the meatballs, coating each one with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy or freeze for later!
Big shoutout to Rubbermaid for making freezer meals easier to store and keep! Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are products that I know, trust, and love!