Granola is a staple in our household. It goes on so many yummy things, from yogurt with fruit to topping for pancakes! Not to mention it’s so easy to make, versatile, and perfect for the entire family. We love keeping it on hand!
While store-bought granola can be expensive and loaded with sugar, this recipe can be made in bulk and is a healthy, lightened-up version of regular granola without sacrificing flavor. It’s DELICIOUS and one of our favorite things to make every week!
The good thing about granola is that it can be fairly flexible as far as what goes into it! The flaxseed in this recipe can either be ground or whole. The almonds and walnuts should be chopped and can be subbed for any type of nut!
How to make healthy granola
Making homemade granola is easy! Here’s how to make it in 4 easy steps:
1. Mix together the dry ingredients.
2. Add in the liquid ingredients and mix.
3. Pour the granola on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes, using a spatula to mix the granola every 10 minutes.
Tips for making this recipe
The #1 tip for making the best granola is to ensure that the granola is tossed or mixed every 10 minutes during baking.
Letting it bake for longer than 10 minutes at a time can result in uneven baking and burned areas. And nobody wants that! To ensure that the granola has the best texture and flavor, check on it often and mix it with a spatula throughout the baking process!
Make it your own
Feel free to make this recipe your own by adding in some of your favorites! Here are a few ideas of delicious add-ins for this recipe after baking:
- Dried Cranberries
- Lemon or Orange Zest
- Dried Coconut
- Goji Berries
- Nuts (such as cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts)
- Chocolate Chips
Storing Homemade Granola
Once your granola has cooled and you have added any additional dried fruits, nuts or spices, it can be stored in airtight containers (or mason jars) in a cool, dry place for a few weeks!
What to pair it with
We love serving this healthy homemade granola mixed in with fruit and greek yogurt for a delicious breakfast or snack. It’s also great used in topping pancakes, oatmeal, cereal, by itself, or even in smoothies! Try serving it with one of these delicious recipes:
- Granola & Yogurt Bowls
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie Bowl
- 10-Minute Healthy Banana Pancakes
- Fruit & Nut Breakfast Cups
Loving this recipe? Be sure to sign up to get our 25 Simple, Wholesome Recipes cookbook for free!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the liquid ingredients until everything is well coated.
- Pour out the mixture and spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes total, mixing the granola every 10 minutes to make sure it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Once the rolled oats start to brown, remove and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The #1 tip for making the best granola is to ensure that the granola is tossed or mixed every 10 minutes during baking!
- The flaxseed in this recipe can either be ground or whole.
- The almonds and walnuts should be chopped or sliced and can be subbed for any type of nut!
- Once your granola has cooled and you have added any additional dried fruits, nuts or spices, it can be stored in airtight containers in a cool, dry place for a few weeks!