While there are a ton of great options for healthy breakfasts, sometimes the easiest thing is to throw everything in a blender and take it with you on-the-go. Today, we’re sharing some of our favorite tips, tricks, and combinations for making a fruit smoothie!
Short on time? Skip the process and order Smoothie Box for easy, nutritious smoothies delivered right to your doorstep. And you can get FREE smoothies for life with this Jar Of Lemons exclusive offer!
4 Basic Steps for How to Make a Fruit Smoothie
1. Add your frozen fruit of choice
In this case, we used blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. However, any type of frozen fruit will work great!
2. Add a yogurt or banana base to thicken
Plain greek yogurt and/or bananas are great for thickening smoothies.
3. Add protein powder (optional)
Adding protein powder helps sweeten the smoothie (if needed) and, of course, adds protein. This is always an optional step!
4. Add your milk of choice
Our favorite is unsweetened almond milk, but cashew milk, coconut milk, oat milk, and regular dairy milk are all great options as well.
To make the smoothie: Simply blend everything in a single serving blender (or a food processor) and enjoy! Another option is to pour the smoothie into mason jars and freeze for quick smoothies throughout the week. Simply thaw in the refrigerator a few hours before you’re ready to drink it (or microwave for about 1 minute)!
How to make a vegan fruit smoothie
To make a vegan fruit smoothie, be sure to use banana as your thickener and a dairy-free milk choice. If you choose to sweeten it, be sure to use agave or maple syrup. Lastly, be sure that your protein powder is vegan!
RELATED: The 5 Best Vegan Protein Powders
What to add to fruit smoothies
Add chia seeds, flax seed, greens (such as spinach and kale), nuts, nut butters, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, and nutritional superfoods!
One of our favorite nutritional powders to add is Detox Organics Chocolate Superfoods. Perfect for combining with fruit in a smoothie and great for digestive health!
Some of the best fruit smoothie combinations:
- Strawberries + Banana + Chia Seeds (RECIPE: Strawberry Banana Chia Seed Smoothie)
- Mango + Banana (RECIPE: Healthy Mango Banana Smoothie)
- Pineapple + Turmeric (RECIPE: Golden Glow Pineapple Turmeric Smoothie)
- Banana + Cashew Butter (RECIPE: Banana Cashew Butter Chia Seed Smoothie)
- Dragon Fruit + Goji Berries (RECIPE: Dragon Fruit Smoothie with Goji Berries
- Pineapple + Mango + Kiwi (RECIPE: Tropical Breakfast Smoothie)
Classic Fruit Smoothie Recipe
- 2 cups frozen fruit ((we used berries))
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 scoops protein powder ((about 1/4 cup))
- 1 cup milk of choice
- In a blender, combine frozen fruit, greek yogurt (or a banana), protein powder, and milk of choice.
- Blend until smooth and enjoy!