Chipotle Chickpea Tacos Recipe – Vegan & SO Good!
If you’ve been on the search for the best ever vegan taco recipe, look no further than these Chipotle Chickpea Tacos. They are SO. GOOD! They can be made in less than 30 minutes, prepped ahead, great as leftovers, and are completely perfect for warm, sunny days.
Full of flavor, you won’t believe that these yummy tacos are vegan! Adjust the spicy level to from mild to hot (whatever you prefer) and add toppings to your heart’s desire. I know you’ll be as obsessed with these chickpea tacos as I am!
RELATED: 25+ BEST Healthy Taco Recipes
Table of Contents
Here’s what you’ll need for this easy recipe:
Red Onion – Chopped red onions adds a sweet, slightly crunchy texture to these tacos. Yellow onion works great, too!
Chickpeas – The chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) in this recipe are canned and drained, or cooked in advance.
You’ll Also Love: 30+ Best Chickpea Recipes
Chipotle Seasoning – The chipotle seasoning is made from chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, and pepper!
Minced Garlic – Freshly minced garlic is so delicious in these tacos. Garlic powder works great, too!
Sauce – The sauce in this Chipotle Chickpea Taco recipe is a mix of tomato sauce and apple cider vinegar. It’s just enough to coat the chickpeas and add tons of flavor!
Whole Wheat Tortillas – Whole wheat, low carb, or regular flour tortillas are all delicious options for chickpea tacos. You can also use corn tortillas, but I personally prefer some sort of flour tortilla for this recipe! Gluten-free flour tortillas are great, too.
Cilantro – Fresh cilantro leaves add tons of flavor! However, you can also use chopped spinach or even kale for added nutrition (or all of the above).
Radishes – Sliced radishes top off these tacos and add a spicy crunch!
Vegan Crumbled Cheese – If you’re looking to make these tacos vegan and dairy-free, then a vegan crumbled cheese is perfect on top. For vegetarians, feel free to use cotija cheese or feta cheese!
Lime – A squeeze of fresh lime juice is EXACTLY the thing you need on each one of these tacos! Trust me, you won’t want to skip this step. It takes them to another level!
How to Make Chipotle Chickpea Tacos
Making Vegan Chipotle Chickpea Tacos is actually super easy. Here’s how to put this yummy dinner recipe together in less than 30 minutes!
- Cook the onions in avocado oil or olive oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add in the chickpeas and chipotle spices.
- Pour in the garlic, tomato sauce, and apple cider vinegar mixture.
- Mix and cook for just a few minutes as the sauce thickens.
- Heat up the tortillas and fill with chipotle chickpeas and toppings.
Other Chickpea Taco Toppings/Ideas
Mix it up with these other chickpea taco topping ideas for a next-level taste!
- Sliced Avocado
- Chopped Walnuts
- Shredded Red Cabbage
- Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Sliced Red Onion
- Pickled Onion
- Green Onions
- Pickled Radishes
- Red Pepper Flakes
Tips for Adjusting the Spicy Level
To be honest, these tacos are pretty spicy. I don’t have a high tolerance for spicy food (like SUPER sensitive, haha), but my husband loves spicy food. These Chipotle Chickpea Tacos are a happy medium, leaning on the spicier side!
If you want to tone down the heat, simply swap out some or all of the chipotle chili powder for ancho chili powder or regular chili powder. That’s it!
How to Store
It’s best to store the chipotle chickpeas in a separate, airtight container. Then when you’re ready to enjoy, simply heat the chickpeas up in the microwave and add to the tortillas along with fresh toppings!
These Chipotle Chickpea Tacos can last 3-5 days in the refrigerator. The chickpeas can also be frozen for up to 3 months!
More Healthy Taco Recipes
- Vegan Spicy Thai Tofu Tacos w/ Peanut Sauce
- Baked Mahi Mahi Tacos
- The BEST Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Sriracha Lime Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- Taco Bowl Recipe
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos
More Vegan Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Red Pepper Hummus Pizza
- Easy Vegan Meatballs
- Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Enchiladas
- Vegan Loaded Mashed Potato Bowls
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Chipotle Chickpea Tacos (Easy & Vegan)
Vegan Chipotle Chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (drained)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup vegan crumbled cheese (cotija or feta for vegetarian version)
- 1 medium lime, sliced or quartered
Cooking The Chipotle Chickpeas
- Heat up the avocado oil over medium-high heat in a pan or skillet.
- Add the chopped red onion and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until soft.
- While the onions are cooking, mix together the chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add the drained chickpeas to the pan and mix into the onions.
- Pour the chipotle seasoning into the pan and mix until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Whisk together the minced garlic, tomato sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour into the pan and stir.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Lower the heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Making The Chickpea Tacos
- While the chickpeas are cooking, heat up the tortillas directly on a gas burner or in a pan.
- Layer each tortilla with fresh cilantro leaves, chipotle chickpeas, sliced radishes, vegan crumbled cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
- To tone down the spicy level, simply swap out some or all of the chipotle chili powder for ancho chili powder or regular chili powder.
Leave a Reply