A good bowl recipe is LIFE. Especially when it’s vegan, soooo yummy, and one that can be put on repeat! These Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls have been a staple in my recent menu for healthy lunches and dinners that can be prepped in advance. I’ve loved having them on hand!
They’re SO easy to make, prep, and can even be frozen for later. If you’ve been stuck in a healthy eating rut and need something new and delicious, you’re going to love how these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls are loaded with flavor!
You’ll also love: 30+ BEST Easy Meal Prep Recipes
In this post
- Making the healthy buffalo sauce
- How to make Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls with quinoa
- Make this a chickpea rice bowl
- How to make this a meal prep recipe
- More delicious grain bowl recipes
- More vegan chickpea recipes
One of my favorite things about these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls is how simple the ingredients are! Here’s what you’ll need:
Chickpeas – I love chickpeas in vegan bowl recipes because they’re a great source for plant-based protein. They’re also great for flavoring any way that you want!
Quinoa – Quinoa takes these grain bowls to another level with added nutrition and flavor. Jasmine rice is another great option!
Onion/Garlic – I used fresh onion and garlic in this recipe. However, feel free to use dried onion flakes and/or garlic powder if necessary!
Buffalo Seasoning – Paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
Buffalo Sauce – Combining the buffalo seasoning with tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, agave, broth, and hot sauce (Tabasco, Cholula, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, Sriracha, or anything else you have on hand!) make up this delicious buffalo sauce. I used Sriracha in this recipe for an extra kick!
Roasted/Fresh Veggies – I added roasted broccoli, freshly spiralized carrots, and avocado. However, feel free to make these bowls with whatever veggies you have on hand!
Making the healthy buffalo sauce
The healthy buffalo sauce in this chickpea bowl recipe is everything!
To make healthy buffalo sauce, simply combine paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper with tomato sauce in a pan. Add in apple cider vinegar and agave, then deglaze the pan with vegetable broth and hot sauce. Whisk together and heat on the stovetop until the sauce thickens and reduces!
Is buffalo sauce healthy?
Buffalo sauce can be healthy if it’s homemade! This recipe contains apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, a small amount of agave, vegetable broth, and spices that make it a healthier version of original buffalo sauce.
What type of hot sauce can be used in buffalo sauce?
You can use almost any type of hot sauce to make buffalo sauce! Tabasco, Tapatío, Cholula, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, and Sriracha are all great options.
Making buffalo sauce without hot sauce?
Not feeling hot sauce in your buffalo sauce? Simply replace it with the same amount of ketchup or a mixture of tomato sauce and broth. Feel free to add and adjust the level of spicy with a dash of cayenne!
How to make Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls with quinoa
Making chickpea bowls with quinoa is SO easy! Here’s the quick rundown on how to make these bowls:
1. Cook the quinoa (or purchase pre-cooked quinoa to save time).
2. Cook the onions and garlic in oil.
3. Mix the buffalo seasoning with tomato sauce and heat in a pan.
4. Add in apple cider vinegar, agave, broth, and hot sauce.
5. Add in the chickpeas and cook until the sauce thickens and reduces.
6. Roast and/or prep veggies!
Tip: Adjust the level of heat to taste by adding more/less cayenne and choosing your favorite mild, medium, or spicy hot sauce!
Other pairing ideas
What can you include in these yummy chickpea bowls? Here are a few ideas:
- Roasted broccoli
- Sliced or spiralized carrots
- Fresh avocado
- Chopped celery
- Steamed sweet potatoes
You can also serve these Buffalo Chickpea Bowls with Healthy Ranch Dressing (non-vegan) or this Creamy Vegan Tahini Dressing!
Make this a chickpea rice bowl
Don’t have quinoa on hand? Rice is a great option for grain bowls! You can turn a quinoa bowl into a rice bowl simply by replacing the quinoa with brown or jasmine rice.
How to make this a meal prep recipe
To meal prep these buffalo chickpea bowls, simply make the entire recipe and place in meal prep containers. Let cool in the refrigerator (uncovered), then add airtight lids and keep refrigerated or freeze. This recipe can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Note: If you’re planning on meal prepping this recipe, be sure to leave the avocado out until you are ready to eat!
More delicious grain bowl recipes
- Asian Tofu Rice Bowls
- Veggies & Rice Harvest Bowls
- Meal Prep Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Vegan Chickpea & Sweet Potato Bowls
More vegan chickpea recipes
- The BEST Coconut Lentil & Chickpea Curry
- Garlic Chickpea Spaghetti Squash
- Vegan Turmeric Quinoa Power Bowls
- Baked Sweet Potatoes w/ Chickpeas & Broccoli Pesto
- Broccoli & Chickpea Rainbow Power Bowls
Want more delicious, easy recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter and get our FREE 25 Simple, Wholesome Recipes ebook!
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Bowls
Vegan Buffalo Chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp agave
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (of choice)
- 3 1/2 cups chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 2 cups quinoa (cooked)
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 head broccoli
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On the stovetop, cook the chopped onion and minced garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the cayenne, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper with the tomato sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar, agave, vegetable broth, and hot sauce.
- Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas and stir, cooking for another 7-10 minutes (or until the buffalo sauce thickens and reduces).
- While the buffalo chickpeas are cooking, chop, prep, and/or spiralize the vegetables for the bowls.
- Place the broccoli on a baking sheet and toss in the avocado oil.
- Roast for about 20 minutes (or until softened).
- Combine the quinoa, avocado, roasted broccoli, spiralized carrots, and buffalo chickpeas in each bowl.
- Serve and enjoy or meal prep for later!
- Feel free to use any veggies you want in these bowls!
- For the hot sauce: use Tabasco, Cholula, Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, Sriracha, or anything else you have on hand.
- Adjust the level of heat to taste by adding more/less cayenne and choosing your favorite mild, medium, or spicy hot sauce!
- To meal prep these buffalo chickpea bowls, simply make the entire recipe and place in meal prep containers. Let cool in the refrigerator (uncovered), then add airtight lids and keep refrigerated or freeze. This recipe can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you’re planning on meal prepping this recipe, be sure to leave the avocado out until you are ready to eat!
Leave a Reply