Need a solution for the steel cut oats that have been sitting in your pantry? This Overnight Steel Cut Oats recipe is incredibly easy to make! It requires no heat, which means that they can simply be put together in a bowl or mason jars like traditional overnight oats. And with only 5 ingredients, this recipe is too easy not to make! Here’s what we’re loving about these oats:
- The taste has a nutty flavor with a chewy texture that we’re obsessing over.
- Paired with the right toppings (more on that below), these oats can be taken to the next level!
- They only take about 5 minutes to put together.
- They can stay in the fridge for up to 4-5 days, so they’re perfect for meal prep!
Here are our favorite steel cut oats to use in this recipe!
The benefits of steel cut oats
Steel cut oats are among the healthiest grains! They’re loaded with fiber, iron, and other great nutrients. They’re also considered a low glycemic index food.
Steel cut oats vs. rolled oats
While we love using rolled oats in overnight oats recipes, steel cut oats have a different, nuttier taste. Since rolled oats tend to absorb more liquid, steel cut oats are able to keep a firmer texture. Both steel cut oats and rolled oats work great in overnight oats recipes!
Making overnight oats with steel cut oats
To trick to making the best overnight oats with steel cuts is to allow the mixture to refrigerate for TWO nights instead of one. While the requirement is that they sit in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours, they will taste better and soften with more time.
What you need for this recipe
- Traditional steel cut oats
- Almond milk
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Maple syrup
While the greek yogurt is optional, we’re loving the creamy texture that it adds to this recipe!
Other add-ins/toppings ideas:
Can you heat up overnight steel cut oats?
Once the overnight oats are ready, they can either be eaten cold or warmed up in the microwave with a little bit of added liquid!
More overnight oats recipes you’ll love
- Oatmeal Cookie Overnight Oats
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Chia Seed Overnight Oats
- Strawberries & Cream Overnight Oats
EASY Overnight Steel Cut Oats Recipe
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (optional)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix everything together in a bowl or mason jars.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!