4-Ingredient Potato Soup Recipe (VIDEO)
There’s nothing like a big bowl of cozy potato soup when the weather is cold outside! And the best part? It’s incredibly easy to make. You can keep it simple with just the 4 main ingredients, or you can add seasoning and toppings to your heart’s desire!
I love making this easy recipe for a wholesome dinner that my family is always a fan of. The simple flavors are honestly just SO good and always hit the spot! Whether you’re making a meal for a friend, looking for a make-ahead freezer-friendly recipe, or just needing a quick cozy soup for dinner tonight, you’ll love how delicious this 4-ingredient creamy potato soup is.
RELATED: 15 Healthy Winter Soups
What You’ll Need
There are 4 main ingredients in this recipe:
Of course, you’ll also need a little bit of olive oil (or any cooking oil) to sauté the onion and some salt and pepper to season this soup to taste!
How to Make 4-Ingredient Potato Soup
Making potato soup with only 4 ingredients is easier thank you think! Here’s a quick overview for how to make this easy potato soup recipe:
- Sauté the diced onion in a dutch oven or large pot.
- Add in the peeled and cubed potatoes with vegetable broth, then simmer.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender (or regular blender, if necessary).
- Whisk together plain yogurt and warm water, then pour into the soup.
- Add salt/pepper to taste, top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Notes About This Recipe
- Any type of cooking oil works great for sautéing the onion. Butter is a delicious option, too!
- The yogurt in this recipe adds a creamy, delicious taste! Not a fan of yogurt? Sour cream is another great option.
- Feel free to add more seasoning to this soup if desired, such as garlic powder, dried parsley, cilantro, thyme, rosemary, or a small dash of dried oregano.
- Cheese is delicious as a topping, but you can also mix it into the soup!
- Adjust the consistency of this potato soup by adding more broth as desired.
- You can also make this with other types of potatoes, such as yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes. However, the cooking times may vary as these types often cook a bit quicker!
- Cheddar Cheese
- Bacon Bits
- Fresh Parsley
- Diced Ham
- Shredded Chicken
- Chopped Kale
- Crumbled Garlic Bread
- Green Onions
Potato soup is one of the best recipes for refrigerating, freezing, and storing for later!
Refrigerating – This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Freezing – To freeze, let the soup cool in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Move to the freezer and store for up to 3 months!
To reheat, it’s best to let the soup thaw in the refrigerator the night before. When ready to enjoy, simply heat it up in the microwave or stove top!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Pumpkin Curry Soup
- Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- The BEST Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
4-Ingredient Potato Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth, divided (or chicken broth)
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (+ 1/4 cup warm water)
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Sauté the diced onion with olive oil for about 5 minutes in a dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add in the peeled and cubed potatoes, followed by 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth.
- Simmer over medium/low heat for about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are fork tender).
- Whisk together the greek yogurt and warm water, then slowly pour into the pot and stir.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth, or transfer to a regular blender (you may need to do this in batches). If using a regular blender, it helps to blend on the lowest setting with the lid slightly ajar so heat can escape.
- Once blended, whisk in the additional 1-2 cups of vegetable broth to thin (if desired). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, and/or bacon bits. Enjoy!