Welcome to September, friends. Fall is here (yay!!) and it’s time to bring out all of the fall desserts!
Apple crisp is one of our favorite recipes to make during this season since it’s sweet, delicious, cozy, and makes your house smell like fall. It’s great for having people over or just keeping on hand for a yummy evening dessert!
Today, we’re sharing this healthy apple crisp recipe with you guys and know that you’ll love it! It has all of the amazing and yummy fall flavors that a regular apple crisp has, but is lightened up and perfect for a guilt-free treat. Scroll down for the quick and easy recipe and let’s kick the fall season off together!
How to make a Healthy Apple Crisp (the quick and easy recipe)
- Mix rolled oats with flour, sliced almonds, coconut oil, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a little bit of maple syrup for the topping.
- Soak sliced apples in a mixture of maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and a little bit of flour to create the filling.
- Place the filling in a baking pan, pie dish, or tart dish, then top with the rolled oat topping.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes and enjoy!
For this recipe, we used rolled oat flour in both the filling and the topping to make it gluten-free (and it tastes amazing!). This type of flour can be purchased HERE or made by simply blending rolled oats in the blender or food processor. However, feel free to use whole wheat or regular flour as well!
What types of apples are best for an apple crisp recipe?
Honeycrisp or Gala apples are perfect for apple crisp since they have a “crisp” texture!
How to slice apples for apple crisp
Thin apple slices are perfect for an apple crisp recipe! However, you can also cut the apple slices into small cubes.
Use this thin apple slicer to make the process even quicker!
How to store apple crisp
Apple crisp can be stored in it’s baking dish, covered, for about 1-2 days in the refrigerator. It can also be placed in an airtight container and stored for up to a week!
If making the apple crisp in advance, use Glad Press n’ Seal to store it covered in the fridge if you plan on reheating later that day. This keeps it fresh and delicious! These containers are also perfect for if you are storing the crisp for several days.
How to reheat apple crisp
To reheat the apple crisp, simply pop it back into the oven for about 7-10 minutes (or until everything is warm).
Topping ideas for this apple crisp recipe
- Sliced almonds
- Pecan halves
- Extra brown sugar
- Ice cream of choice
More healthy fall desserts you’ll love!
- Healthy Apple Crumble Parfait
- Maple Pecan Pie Latte (Cold Coffee Drink)
- Easy Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Healthy Apple Crisp Recipe (Quick & Easy)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup rolled oat flour
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (or pecan halves)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 medium apples
- 1 tsp vanilla
Apple Crisp Topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the rolled oats, rolled oat flour, sliced almonds, coconut oil, brown sugar, salt, 1 Tbsp of the cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp of the maple syrup together in a mixing bowl.
Apple Crisp Filling
- Slice the apples and combine with the remaining maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Pour the filling into a baking pan or tart dish and cover with the apple crisp topping.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes (or until the apples are soft).
- Top with ice cream (if desired) and serve warm!