Cody and I just got back from a series of trips to see our families over the past couple of weeks. With all of the traveling we’ve been doing, I was super grateful to have lots of on-the-go snacks and breakfasts that are wholesome and more than just a protein bar.
I mean I love protein bars and all, but there’s only so much protein-bar-living a girl can take! These Gluten-Free Healthy Rhubarb Muffins are here to save the day!
These Gluten-Free Healthy Rhubarb Muffins are a great on-the-go snack or breakfast!
Here are two things that I think we can generally agree on:
- You, like me, don’t have time to make some crazy complicated breakfast or snack and it basically needs to be ready in 5 minutes or less in order to fit it into your busy lifestyle.
- We both love and want to eat as healthy as possible. Preservatives and other junk in snacks and breakfast foods are just plain YUCKY.
- Eating healthy should be delicious in every way possible (ok, three things).
What Kind of Rhubard Should I Use?
For this recipe, I used fresh rhubarb. However, I think that frozen or dried rhubarb would work great, too! This recipe is a variation of the Blueberry Bread recipe, so be sure to check that recipe out and the Pumpkin Muffins recipe for more of these delicious muffin and bread variations!
What You’ll Need to Make Rhubarb Muffins
- Rolled oats – a great alternative to flour
- Baking powder – to help the muffins rise
- Flax seeds & chia seeds – for an extra nutritional boost
- Eggs – to help bind the ingredients and help the muffins rise
- Almond butter – gives delicious flavor
- Banana & dates – to naturally sweeten and help bind everything together
- Vanilla & cinnamon – delicious natural sweeteners
- Rhubarb – I used fresh
- coconut sugar – to sweeten
You ARE in fact looking for a new, healthy, sweet, and wholesome snack for the spring/summer, these Gluten-Free Healthy Rhubarb Muffins are DELISH! In addition to that, they can be made in advance and last you the entire week.
And anyway, it IS rhubarb season, after all. It deserves it’s own muffin! And we deserve muffins. It’s a win-win. Muffins all around!
How to Make Gluten-Free Rhubarb Muffins in 5 Easy Steps
Blend the dates.
Cut the rhubarb into small cubes.
Mix all of the ingredients together in a food processor except for the rhubarb.
Pour the batter into an oiled muffin pan and sprinkle the cubed rhubarb over each muffin.
Bake for about 30 minutes (or until the middles are done).
When these muffins have cooled you can store them in a cool dry place and they’ll last about a week so you can grab and go when you need a speedy breakfast or snack. You can also freeze these muffins in suitable containers for up to 6 months!
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Wholesome Peach Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- No-Bake Oatmeal Protein Bars
- Easy Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Gluten-Free Healthy Rhubarb Muffins
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 7 dates
- 1 medium stalk rhubarb
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend the dates.
- Cut the rhubarb into small cubes.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a food processor except for the rhubarb.
- Pour the batter into an oiled muffin pan and sprinkle the cubed rhubarb over each muffin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (or until the middles are done).
- Serve and enjoy!