Summertime is here, friends! And what better way to celebrate the season than with the sweet flavors of strawberries and fresh lemons. Whether you’re taking these to a summer gathering, sharing them with close friends, or just craving something sweet, you’ll love this easy Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes recipe!
RELATED: 25+ Healthy Baking Recipes
This recipe uses simple, easy-to-find ingredients. However, there are a few ingredients that can be substituted to make this recipe a little healthier!
Flour – We used all-purpose flour. While using whole wheat flour may result in dense cupcakes, a half and half mixture of all purpose and whole wheat flour is perfect for a healthier option!
Butter – We recommend sticking to butter for the best texture and flavor. However, another great option is to use the same amount of coconut oil!
Sugar – Any kind of sugar works great in this recipe: regular sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, or coconut sugar.
Yogurt – Any type of plain yogurt will work in this recipe. We recommend using whole milk yogurt for the best texture!
How to make Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
There are two components to making Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes: the lemon cupcakes, and the strawberry cream cheese icing. Here’s how to make these delicious cupcakes!
Making lemon cupcakes
1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
2. Mix the liquid ingredients together.
3. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, then mix until the batter is fairly smooth (making sure not to over-mix).
4. Pour the batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
The trick to making light, fluffy cupcakes is to ensure that you don’t over-mix the batter! You want some bubbles in your batter, so be sure to stop mixing right as the ingredients blend.
Making strawberry cream cheese icing
To make the icing, simply mix the cream cheese, butter, strawberry jam, and powdered sugar together with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Feel free to adjust the amount of powdered sugar based on taste. If you’re planning on making these cupcakes look pretty (i.e. taking them to a gathering), we recommend using more powdered sugar so that the icing holds up better!
Don’t feel like making your own icing for these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes? Try this pre-made, healthier icing instead!
More delicious sweets you’ll love
- Healthy Rice Krispie Treats
- Baked Glazed Doughnuts
- Chocolate Cherry Crumble Dessert Bars
- Southern Sweet Tea Lemon Cake
- Healthy Chocolate Cake
Loving this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below!
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter (lightly melted)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter (room temp)
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar (see notes)
Making The Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla, yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon zest together until smooth.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until the batter is fairly smooth.
- Pour the batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake for about 25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Once the cupcakes have finished baking, remove from pan and allow to cool.
Making The Icing
- While the cupcakes are baking, start making the icing by mixing the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer (or with a hand mixer).
- Add the strawberry jam and continue mixing.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix until smooth.
- Place the icing in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the icing on to the cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
- The trick to making light, fluffy cupcakes is to ensure that you don’t over-mix the batter! You want some bubbles in your batter, so be sure to stop mixing right as the ingredients blend.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of powdered sugar based on taste. If you’re planning on making these cupcakes look pretty (i.e. taking them to a gathering), we recommend using more powdered sugar so that the icing holds up better!