Creamy, gooey, and sweet. This healthy Kaya Coconut Egg Jam recipe is perfect on toast for breakfast or as a snack! It’s super easy to make and can be stored in glass jars in the fridge.
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!
I had never made Kaya before until Christine from Vermillion Roots opened my eyes to it. My. Life. Has. Changed.
About Kaya Coconut Egg Jam
This stuff is the BEST. Creamy, sweet, gooey….it almost tastes like caramel! Naturally, I had a few questions for Christine about her amazing Kaya recipe.
What is Kaya?
Kaya is a popular jam in Malaysia made with coconut milk, eggs, palm sugar and pandan leaves.
What are your favorite ways to eat Kaya Coconut Egg Jam?
One of my favorite ways of enjoying kaya is on toast dipped in runny soft-boiled eggs! That’s the quintessential Malaysian breakfast. I also enjoy it with pancakes and waffles for breakfast and when I need a sweet snack, kaya with crackers is a satisfying treat. For special occasions, I love sharing with family and friends my green pandan coconut cake with kaya.
Why is Kaya special to you?
Kaya is the taste of my childhood, and it’s one of the first things I learned to make when I was young. It’s my comfort food. When I moved away from Southeast Asia, kaya was the first food item from home that I missed. Being able to make kaya wherever I am is important to me.
Any tips for making Kaya?
1. Firstly, be patient. Keep an eye on it and stir frequently. It’s a process that requires dedication and commitment, but the outcome is very rewarding.
2. Do not despair if lumps start to appear. Quickly remove from heat and stir or whisk until smooth. The eggs in the mixture curdle when overheated, so reduce heat before continuing to cook. If necessary, run an immersion blender through it.
3. Here are some tips for ingredient substitutions:
– For a healthier option, use light coconut milk.
– Palm sugar can be substituted with coconut sugar or brown sugar.
– Pandan leaves can be omitted if they are hard to find.
There you have it, friends. Kaya Coconut Egg Jam at it’s finest! Check out her full Kaya recipe here! When I made this recipe, I (unfortunately) had to leave out the pandan leaves because we don’t have Asian supermarkets in the area. So sad!
However, the recipe still came out wonderful! I also took her suggestions to make the recipe healthier by substituing the coconut milk for light, and the palm sugar for coconut sugar.
More Delicious and Healthy Breakfast Recipes You Might Like:
- Gingerbread French Toast
- Grilled Avocado Goat Cheese Toast
- Homemade Granola
- Strawberry Acai Smoothie Bowl
Kaya Coconut Egg Jam
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 5 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Set up a double boiler and bring the water to a boil. Keep the top pot from touching the boiling water.
- Lower the heat to low-medium heat, keeping the water at a simmer.
- Pour the coconut milk and sugar into the pot, then stir until the sugar completely melts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour into the coconut milk/sugar mixture.
- Cook for about an hour (or until the mixture is thick and custard-like), stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is thick, let cool and place in jars!