Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole – The Best Quick Comfort Food
Chicken casserole is one of the best all-time comfort foods. From everyday dinners to warm-weather gatherings, you can’t go wrong with this quick comfort food recipe! This healthier version of the classic recipe is full of wholesome chicken, broccoli, and plain Greek yogurt, mixed with herbs and cheese to make this a yummy, melty, tasty dinner. Top it off with whole wheat buttery Ritz crackers for a next-level meal that you’ll want to keep on repeat! This recipe is so, SO good.
You’ll Also Love: 23 Healthy Casserole Recipes
Plain Greek Yogurt – The plain Greek yogurt brings so much hearty texture to this comfort casserole in a healthy way, while adding a creamy base as well. I have found that whole milk plain Greek yogurt works best, but regular is great, too!
Note: If you don’t want to add yogurt to this casserole, another option is to use light sour cream.
Whole Wheat Ritz Crackers – Whole Wheat Ritz-Style Crackers add crunch and flavor to this indulgent recipe. Use more or less to your liking!
Organic Better Than Bullion (Chicken Flavor) – This organic condensed chicken flavoring really highlights the comforting feel of this recipe.
Cooked Chicken – Cooked chicken cut into cubes or shredded works best. You can use a shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or just cook chicken breasts and have them cubed and ready to go!
Broccoli Florets – Feel free to use fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli! Personally, I like using raw broccoli because I like the crunchy texture, but another option is to lightly steam the broccoli before throwing it into this casserole for a softer texture.
Poppy Seeds and Herbs – These light and bright herbs, as well as the nutritious poppy seeds, add just the right amount of sunny flavors to this recipe.
Cheddar Cheese – Nothing says cozy casserole like a handful of shredded cheese! Feel free to adjust the amount to your own personal taste!
How To Make This Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
This recipe is so easy. Like only 6 steps easy. Here’s how to make Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease or spray a 9×9 baking dish or 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, seasonings, better than bullion, & poppy seeds together.
- Fold in, one at a time, the chicken, broccoli, & cheese.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to the baking pan and spread out evenly.
- Combine crushed crackers & melted butter, and sprinkle over top of the chicken mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
RELATED: Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Top with parmesan cheese
- Add in sauteed mushrooms
- Top with fresh parsley leaves
- Mix in frozen peas and/or chopped carrots before baking
- Fresh basil on top
Want to know what to serve with poppy seed chicken casserole? Here are a few ideas:
- Pair with an easy side salad
- Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Simple Green Goodness Chickpea Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Goat Cheese
- Steamed veggies
- Crispy Air Fryer Zucchini
- Rosemary Mushroom Rice Pilaf
Saving for Later/Heating Up Leftovers
This Chicken Poppy Seed Casserole will make a perfect leftover lunch! So if you want to save some for the next day, simply put all leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. And this casserole freezes well, too! So it would be a wonderful make-ahead meal for your next gathering or weeknight rush. To freeze this casserole, first, let it cool completely on the countertop, then place it in an airtight container in the fridge for one hour. Move to the freezer and store for up to three months!
To prep this recipe in advance, simply mix all of the ingredients together (except for the melted butter and crackers) and place them in your casserole dish. Add an airtight lid, then store it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. When ready to make, add the buttery crackers mixture on top!
More Easy Comfort Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Paleo Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Baked Mixed Vegetable Casserole
- Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Better than Bullion Chicken flavor
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 3 cups cooked chicken (1/4 – 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (lightly steamed, if desired)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup crushed whole wheat Ritz-style crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease or spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, thyme, rosemary, celery salt (optional), onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, better than bullion, and poppy seeds together.
- Fold in the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one at a time.
- Transfer to the casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Combine the melted butter and crushed crackers, then spread over top of the chicken mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
- If you don’t like the crunchy texture of the broccoli, feel free to steam it for a few minutes before adding it to this casserole.
- To prep this recipe in advance, simply mix all of the ingredients together (except for the melted butter and crackers) and place them in your casserole dish. Add an airtight lid, then store it in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. When ready to make, add the cracker mixture on top!
Leave a Reply