Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
I love recipes that taste like comfort food goodness but are secretly healthy. My kids are just as obsessed as I am with this one! It’s creamy, savory, and so delicious. Not to mention super easy to make! This Healthy Tuna Casserole is a wholesome take on the classic recipe and is made with simple ingredients, making it perfect for an everyday healthy dinner idea. It’s also great as a make-ahead meal or freezer meal! Add any hidden veggies you want, top with cheese, bake, and enjoy!
You’ll Also Love: 23 Healthy Casserole Recipes
What You’ll Need
Egg Noodles – Egg noodles are typically the standard for tuna casserole. Looking for a healthier alternative? These whole-grain egg noodles contain no egg yolk! Another option is to use pasta!
Olive Oil – A little bit of olive oil is used to add flavor and saute the vegetables. Avocado oil is another great option!
Vegetables – Yellow onion, minced garlic, diced carrots, mushrooms, and peas are the main vegetables in this Healthy Tuna Casserole recipe. You can also add steamed broccoli or chopped kale!
Thyme – Fresh or dried thyme (your choice) adds tons of flavor and depth.
Milk – I used regular milk, but any type of unsweetened plant-based milk works great, too!
Broth – Chicken or vegetable broth are both delicious options in this recipe.
Flour – Feel free to use all-purpose flour or even a gluten-free flour alternative!
Dijon Mustard – The dijon mustard in this recipe brings perfect balance and flavor to this creamy sauce. Trust me, it’s so good!
Cheddar Cheese – Mix the shredded cheddar cheese into the casserole for the best Tuna Noodle Casserole! You can also adjust the amount to your own personal taste.
Tuna – Canned tuna is perfect for this recipe.
Parmesan Cheese – Top the baking dish off with grated parmesan cheese for a next-level dinner!
Optional Vegetable Add-Ins
- Steamed Broccoli
- Chopped Kale
- Chopped Bell Peppers
- Steamed Zucchini
How to Make Healthy Tuna Casserole
Making this Healthy Tuna Casserole could not be easier! Here’s how to put it together in no time at all:
- Saute the vegetables in a dutch oven or a large skillet with olive oil.
- Whisk in the creamy sauce ingredients.
- Add in the cheese, noodles, and tuna.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish or casserole dish.
- Top with grated parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Bake, let cool, and enjoy!
Storing Tuna Noodle Casserole Leftovers
To store Tuna Noodle Casserole, let it cool and place it in an airtight container. Add the lid and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
This recipe can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven – your choice!
More Wholesome, Comforting Dinner Recipes
- Spicy Vodka Ham Pasta
- Healthy Chicken Alfredo (Cauliflower Sauce)
- Gluten-Free Chicken & Dumplings
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake
- Vegetarian Enchiladas (Easy Recipe)
Watch How to Make the Recipe
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 Tablespoon fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups peas (frozen or canned)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces egg noodles (or pre-cooked pasta)
- 2 5-ounce cans tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup steamed broccoli (optional)
- 2 cups chopped kale (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil and diced onion.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the carrots, garlic and mushrooms. Saute an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, then add in the broth, milk, salt, pepper, thyme, peas, dijon mustard and stir.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted, then fold in the noodles and drained tuna. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 9×13 or similar sized baking dish.
- Whisk together the parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to let the top brown (or simply broil for 1-2 minutes, keeping a close eye so it doesn’t burn).
- Serve warm and enjoy!