Almond Joy Chocolate Covered Dates Recipe
There’s no question that dates are having a moment in the spotlight lately. So many of you have absolutely LOVED my Date Snickers recipe! And for good reason – chocolate covered dates are always SUCH a tasty treat.
Today we’re making Almond Joy Date Bites that are truly one of my current favorite healthy desserts/snacks. I love making a big batch of these and keeping them in my fridge or freezer to have on hand for whenever I have a chocolate craving. That coconut almond flavor covered in dark chocolate – there is nothing like it! These Almond Joy Chocolate Covered Dates are SO yummy!
You’ll Also Love: Homemade Date Twix Bars
What You’ll Need
Medjool Dates – These tend to work best for filled dates. They’re also full of nutrition and have that delicious caramel flavor that makes them perfect for sweet treats!
Vanilla Coconut Yogurt – The more coconut flavor, the better! I personally love this vanilla coconut yogurt.
Creamy Almond Butter – Extra drizzly, room temperature almond butter works best.
Vegan Dark Chocolate Chips – Regular dark chocolate chips work great, too.
Coconut Oil – Helps the chocolate to melt and then harden again.
Shredded Coconut – I added shredded coconut as a topping over the chocolate, but it can also be mixed into the yogurt filling to really bring out that almond joy coconut flavor and texture.
Chopped Almonds – A definite must!
Flaky Sea Salt – Adjust to taste. I always like a lot on mine!
How to Make Almond Joy Chocolate Covered Dates
Making these Almond Joy Chocolate Covered Dates could not be easier! Here’s how to put them together:
- Soak the dates! Then slice them to remove pits.
- Fill each date with coconut yogurt and almond butter.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour to set. If you can’t wait that long, it’s ok to go ahead and cover them in chocolate, but they may be a little messy to work with if they aren’t set.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave, making sure to stir often until smooth.
- Coat each stuffed date in the chocolate mixture, then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Immediately add shredded coconut, chopped almonds, and flaky salt over each one (before the chocolate hardens).
- Freeze to set, then enjoy!
RELATED: Healthy S’mores Banana Bites
Other Topping/Filling Ideas
- Chopped Walnuts
- Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Crumbled Pistachios
- Ice Cream Filling (instead of yogurt)
- Dried Raspberries
- Cashew Butter (or any type of nut butter)
- White Chocolate Drizzle
Chocolate Covered Dates are best stored in the freezer (for up to 3 months), but can also stay in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or let them thaw a little bit before enjoying them from the freezer.
More Healthy Chocolate Treats You’ll Love
- Chocolate Covered Apples
- Superfood Chocolate Bites
- Healthy Buster Bars
- Protein Brownie Bites
- Strawberry Chocolate Brownies
- Date Snickers (Peanut Butter Yogurt Dates)
Love the recipe? Rate it below and sign up for my FREE 7 Meal-Planning Secrets To Making Wholesome Dinners (In 30 Minutes Or Less) course!
Almond Joy Chocolate Covered Dates
- 12 large Medjool dates
- 1/3 cup creamy vanilla coconut yogurt (about 1-2 teaspoons per date)
- 3 Tablespoons creamy almond butter (about 1-2 teaspoons per date)
- 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoons shredded coconut
- 1-2 teaspoons finely chopped almonds
- flaky sea salt (to taste)
- Wash and soak the dates, then dry and remove the pits.
- Fill each date with coconut yogurt, then dollop or drizzle the almond butter over each one.
- Place each date on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl together in the microwave, stirring every 15-30 seconds until smooth.
- Dip each date in the melted chocolate and place back on to the baking sheet.
- Immediately top with shredded coconut, chopped almonds, and a sprinkle of flaky salt.TIP: It's best to work one date at a time since the melted chocolate will harden quickly!
- Freeze for another 20-30 minutes, then enjoy!
- I added shredded coconut as a topping, but it can also be mixed into the yogurt filling to really bring out that almond joy coconut flavor and texture.
- If you can’t wait for the dates to set in the freezer after filling them, it’s ok to go ahead and cover them in chocolate. They may be a little messy to work with if they aren’t set, but still delicious!
- These are best stored in the freezer (for up to 3 months), but can also stay in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy straight from the fridge, or let them thaw a little bit before enjoying them from the freezer.