Homemade Healthy Buster Bars Recipe
Friends, get ready for a life-changing recipe (yes, literally): Healthy Buster Bars! Oh. My. Goodness. These chocolate-covered yogurt peanut butter bars are truly the best. Crunchy and chocolatey on the outside, creamy and peanut buttery on the inside. It’s a dilly bar meets a buster bar, but healthy and homemade. So goooooood! Here’s why you’ll love them (as IF you need a list of reasons):
- Made with Greek yogurt and protein powder, they’re higher in protein.
- Make them in just 5-10 minutes prep time, then freeze!
- Keep them in the freezer for a healthy dessert whenever you want one.
- These copycat homemade Buster Bars are healthy and SO delicious!
Loving this recipe? Be sure to check out this Viral Snickers Cup recipe, too!
Table of Contents
What Are Buster Bars?
Buster Bars are Dairy Queen’s frozen dessert that combines layers of creamy ice cream, crunchy nuts, and a rich chocolatey shell. What sets DQ Buster Bars apart is their perfect balance of flavors and textures, offering a delightful contrast between velvety soft serve vanilla ice cream, satisfyingly crisp nuts, and a heavenly coating of smooth, indulgent chocolate. Not only are Buster Bars a scrumptious indulgence but they can also be made with healthier ingredients, making them a wholesome dessert!
Are Buster Bars Gluten-Free?
While classic Buster Bars often contain ingredients that may contain gluten, such as certain types of cookies or wafer layers, fear not! With a few simple substitutions and careful ingredient selection, you can easily create a gluten-free version of these tantalizing treats. This Buster Bars recipe is healthy, gluten-free, and so easy to make!
You’ll only need a few simple ingredients for these Buster Bars (most of which you probably already have on hand)!
Yogurt Ice Cream Filling
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Protein Powder
- Lightly Chopped Peanuts
- Chocolate Chips (optional)
Healthy Magic Shell Coating
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Oil
- Flaky Sea Salt (optional)
How to Make Buster Bars
Making these healthy frozen treats is so easy! Here’s how to make Buster Bars:
- Stir the yogurt, peanut butter, maple syrup, and protein powder together.
- Place dollops of the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten.
- Top with peanuts and chocolate chips (optional), then add a popsicle stick to each one and freeze for at least 30 minutes (but up to overnight).
- Melt the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil to create the magic shell, dipping each buster bar to coat with chocolate.
- Top with a little bit of flaky sea salt (optional) and freeze. After about 15 minutes they will be ready to enjoy!
Healthy Twists & Variations
- Cut the chocolate coating ingredients in half and drizzle the chocolate (instead of a full dip) if desired.
- You can also omit the extra chocolate chip topping for a healthier treat.
- OR you can add even more chocolate chips for a more indulgent dessert!
- Make this recipe in a pan instead and slice it into frozen bars!
- Top with a few crumbled Oreo cookies (or any cookie crumbs) for a fun twist!
You’ll Also Love: Healthy Fudgy Tahini Brownies
How To Store These Bars
Keep these copycat Buster Bars in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2-3 months!
TIP: If stacking them in the container, be sure to add a small piece of parchment paper between each one to prevent sticking.
More Healthy Desserts You’ll Love
- Healthy S’mores Banana Bites
- Giant Air Fryer Cookies
- Banana Coconut Cream Pie Overnight Oats
- Gluten-Free Funfetti Cake
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake w/ Tahini Chocolate Icing
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and follow along on Instagram for more recipes and behind-the-scenes!
Healthy Buster Bars
Creamy Yogurt Filling
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 2 Tablespoons lightly chopped peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)
Magic Shell Coating
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch flaky sea salt (optional)
- Mix the yogurt, peanut butter, maple syrup, and protein powder in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Scoop 5-6 large dollops of the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten them into a round shape.
- Top each one with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips (optional).
- Press a popsicle stick into each one and freeze for at least 30 minutes (but can be frozen overnight).
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave, mixing every 30 seconds for about 1 – 1.5 minutes.
- Dip each bar into the chocolate and use a spoon to coat evenly.
- Place each bar back onto the baking sheet and top with a sprinkle of flaky salt (optional).
- Freeze for another 15 minutes, then enjoy!
- This recipe can make 5-6 large buster bars or 7-8 smaller ones.