This weeknight dinner might look fancy, but it’s unbelievably easy to make! Savory, wholesome, vegetarian goodness in under an hour, y’all. This Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash is one my new favorites!
Cody and I moved a couple of weeks ago (read about it in the Healthy Sriracha Shredded Chicken Tacos post), and we’re still very much living in the midst of chaos. I KNOW, I know. It’s been over 2 weeks, but c’mon. Who unpacks quickly?? We’re
putting it off until we absolutely have to enjoying the unpacking processssssssss.
The truth is that most things are unpacked, but there’s those last few random items that I can’t seem to find a place for and have just been avoiding. In addition to that, I find myself frustratingly opening every drawer in the kitchen just to find a fork every day. Where did I put stuff?! Nobody knows. Everything’s just crazy!
However, I DO have to tell you guys about how excited I am to live so close to a really cool grocery store (ALL the organic and foodie things!) and to have so many good food places! We also live less than a mile away from a ginormous park with awesome running trails. So yay for the little things! You know you’re a food and fitness nerd when you’re this excited about these things. Tell me I’m not the only one! 😉
All that to say this: the temptation these past few weeks has to been to nix cooking in our messy, unorganized, confusing kitchen and to just go out to eat. After all, we “HAVE to try all of the restaurants in our area”! And after so much time of that, you start to lose the desire to cook. I mean, guys, you KNOW I love making and sharing recipes with you! But when life gets crazy, I’m not above lazy pizza nights, eating out, and frozen food.
Last night I basically forced myself to make this, and OH. EM. GEE. So glad that I did!
I can firmly say that this Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash will be a staple!
It was so easy to make, so delicious, spicy, savory, even a touch of sweet and creamy. Everything you could ever want from Mexican food loaded into butternut squash. The best!
There are a few basic ingredients you will need:
-Veggies to your heart’s desire!
Here’s the easy recipe:
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 5 mini peppers chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 6 grape tomatoes chopped
- 1 small avocado
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half, then scoop out the seeds.
- Cover the bottom of a baking tray with a layer of water, then place each half of the squash facedown. Bake for 30-40 minutes (time will depend on the size of the squash). Squash should be soft enough to cut into with a fork.
- While the squash is baking, cook the quinoa according to directions. When the quinoa is done, add in the beans, chopped peppers, cilantro, and chopped tomatoes. Mix together until everything is heated up. Set aside.
- Using a fork, scrape the middle of each squash half to create a "bowl", leaving the squash in the center. Fill each half with the quinoa mixture.
- Top each half with shredded cheese, then put back in the oven for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove from oven and top with avocado slices, plain greek yogurt, and crushed red pepper.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!