Rich. Smooth. Creamy. Gooey. Savory. This healthy mac and cheese is finger-licking good!
As many you know, we’re in the process of renovating our new-old house and moving. As we’re getting ready to move into the house, Cody and I have decided that we should finally take the big/scary/exciting step of meeting our neighbors! And what better way to meet your neighbors than with a home cooked meal? Mac and cheese…Lightened-Up Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese, to be exact. Because who can not like us if we bring them creamy, savory mac & cheese? Surely they’ll love us, right? 😉
Especially since we’re adding a sweet little pineapple card to the mix to basically say “Hello!”. I found this “thinking of you” blank card at Target (in the card section) and thought it was perfect! I mean, there’s a pineapple on it, AND it’s paired with Lightened-Up Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese. If I were them, I’d be pretty happy about that situation!
But seriously, y’all. Target has the best selection of cards right now for situations like this! There’s no better way to say “Hello!” than with a beautiful card and delicious meal! 🙂 If you want some inspiration, check out this Pinterest page for more ways to let your friends, loved ones, and even neighbors know that you’re thinking of them!
This Lightened-Up Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese is super loaded with nutrition!
It’s like a dance party in my mouth. No, but literally. You will probably go back for seconds if you make this for yourself. Just sayin’…..be prepared!
This recipe actually makes a TON of mac and cheese! I bought this enormous bag of pasta and created the recipe around that, so feel free to half it. You could always save the other half of your squash for another recipe (like this Pomegranate Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad) or freeze it to make more of the recipe later.
Now, let’s get to this recipe!
Here’s how to make Lightened-Up Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese:
Lightened-Up Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 12 oz Brown Rice Pasta Elbows
- 1/2 medium butternut squash (pureed)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups organic sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 heads of broccoli
- bacon pieces (optional, for topping)
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, peel and cube the butternut squash. Place in a blender along with the milk and puree.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a medium to large pot for about 5 minutes. Add the pureed squash. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, rinse with cold water, then add to the cooked squash puree.
- Steam the broccoli.
- Add in the cheese, paprika, and the broccoli.
- Continue cooking until the cheese has melted.
- Add the salt/pepper to taste, and serve!