Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
If I had to describe this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread in one word, it would be YUM. It’s sweet, light, fluffy, and delicious. While it’s called bread, the taste and texture are really more like a cake. Maybe that’s why everyone keeps asking for more! It’s so versatile and easy to make that you’ll want to bake it again and again. Here are some of the reasons why I love this recipe so much:
- Chocolate! Need I say more?
- Hidden vegetables for the kids – always a win.
- It’s multipurpose. Serve it for breakfast, a healthy snack, or dessert (or all three)!
- You can substitute half of the all-purpose flour for oat flour, or whole wheat flour.
- You can sub whole milk greek yogurt for the light sour cream.
- Every single bite is SO delicious!
I always love a healthy twist on classic favorites, and this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread will certainly become a favorite in your house, too!
You’ll Also Love: Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
Here’s what you’ll need for this tasty zucchini bread recipe:
- All-Purpose Flour – Feel free to substitute half of the flour for oat flour or whole wheat flour!
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Cardamom
- Ground Cinnamon
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar or raw sugar.
- Chocolate Chips – Can substitute for dairy-free chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or any kind of chocolate you like!
- Light Sour Cream – Feel free to substitute whole milk greek yogurt, if desired.
- Vanilla Extract
Is your mouth watering yet? Keep reading to find out exactly what you need to do to make this recipe!
RELATED: Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
This bread lasted about two seconds in my house, and I’m sure it’ll be instantly gobbled up once you serve it (hey, no judgment here, it has veggies, after all)! Here’s how to make this easy recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease/spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a medium or large bowl.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture, mixing gently with a spatula until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add the sour cream and chocolate chips, and fold in until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour the zucchini bread batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is browned and a tester comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it onto a rack to cool completely.
Tip: If the loaf begins to brown too quickly before the bake is done, cover it loosely with foil!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread FAQ
Q: How do I shred zucchini for baking?
A: Use a zester or grater. Make sure the zucchini is dry before starting! You can pat dry the shredded or grated zucchini to remove excess liquid, but no need to strain it or dry it out further.
Q: Can I put chocolate chips in zucchini bread?
A: Yes, of course! I think it’s the only way to eat zucchini bread! You can experiment with different kinds of chocolate chips – dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or even white chocolate. Or why not try it with all three?
Q: Do you leave the skin on zucchini when making bread?
A: Yes, leave the skin on the zucchini. Zucchini melts into the bread, and the skin doesn’t adversely affect the texture. So no need to add an extra step to peel the zucchini. In fact, the skin has some good nutrients!
Q: Do you remove seeds from zucchini for bread?
A: Since this recipe calls for a medium zucchini, you’ll likely be ok to leave the seeds. Most large zucchinis have a lot of seeds that can mess up the recipe, so you’ll want to remove those. If your medium zucchini has too many seeds, go ahead and remove those before adding to the recipe.
How To Store Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
If you want to save some of this healthy sweet bread for later, it’s best to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. When you’re ready to serve the leftovers, take a portion of the bread and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Then heat for 10 seconds, so it’s slightly warm, like fresh out of the oven!
You can also freeze this bread! Simply cut it into slices after it’s fully cooled, then store the individual slices in freezer-safe bags. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months!
More Healthy Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Bread
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- The BEST Vegan Zucchini Bread
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, applesauce, zucchini, and vanilla together.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture, stirring gently with a spatula until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add in the sour cream and mix until well-combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Note: I recommend checking it at 50 minutes and covering it with foil if the top begins to brown before the bake is finished.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting it out onto a rack to cool completely.
- This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread can last at room temperature for about 2-3 days in an airtight container. It can also last in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!