When it comes to making your own baby food, the easier the better. You know? While it’s important to share many fruits and vegetables with your little one in order to give them the health benefits they need, making homemade baby food can be time consuming! It can also be tough to decide what to combine together in order to share as many flavors and nutrients as possible with your baby.
Today, we’re sharing an easy Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe that’s perfect for making and freezing! It’s loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and amazing flavors for your little one. Give it a try and watch your baby’s sense of taste grow!
Don’t feel like making your own baby food? Your baby can still have fresh, organic purees delivered to your door with Little Spoon!
Easy Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe
This recipe is great for babies between the age of 6 – 12 months. The flavors of zucchini and apple pair beautifully together and allow your baby to combine a vegetable and a fruit in one meal!
Do I need to peel the zucchini skin?
This question can be personal, as it depends on what you think is best for your baby. The skin on fruits and vegetables can sometimes upset a baby’s stomach, so it is often a good idea to go ahead and peel the skin! Here’s a great post on the subject if you’re interested in finding out more.
This also applies to peeling the apple skin!
How to puree the zucchini & apple
Steaming and pureeing baby food is easy! Simply steam the vegetables and fruit for about 15 minutes. Blend and serve, refrigerate, or freeze!
Pro-tip: save time and effort by making this recipe with this baby food maker!
Ways to make this Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe
- One option is to steam the zucchini and apple together, then blend (as discussed in the recipe below).
- Another option is to make a zucchini baby food puree and an apple baby food puree, then freeze in an ice cube tray. When you’re ready to serve, simply thaw a zucchini ice cube and an apple ice cube, then mix together!
Freezing this Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe
This Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe can last 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer! Here are a few ways to freeze this recipe:
- Ice cube tray! Place the puree in an ice cube tray, freeze, and then transfer the ice cubes into an airtight, freezer-safe container.
- Baby food jars or containers. This helps with having baby food ready to go! Simply thaw when you’re ready to use it.
Other zucchini baby food combination ideas:
Try combining a zucchini baby food puree with carrots, avocado, butternut squash, or banana!
Zucchini & Apple Baby Food Recipe
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 small apples (gala or red delicious)
- If desired, peel the skin off of the zucchini and apples.
- Cut the zucchini and apple into medium sized cubes.
- Bring water (about 2 cups) to a boil in a medium to large sized pot.
- Place the zucchini and apple cubes in the steamer basket over the pot of boiling water.
- Steam for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the steamed zucchini and apple in a blender and add desired amount of water.
- Blend the mixture into a puree and either serve, refrigerate, or freeze for later!