These Roasted Harissa Eggplant Halves make for a healthy and delicious dinner recipe that’s gluten-free and dairy-free!
Did you know that eggplant is a fruit?? I know. SHOCKED. Who knew?? Or maybe I’m the last to know. Here I am all proud of myself for eating a veggie-loaded meal for dinner and it turns out it’s a FRUIT. What?
Well, it’ll always be a veggie in my heart. Especially since it’s loaded with fiber, vitamin B, folate, and all kinds of nutrition! (Not that that’s what makes a veggie a veggie…but you know what I mean!)
Combine it with roasted chicken, wholesome lentils, and savory harissa sauce and you’ve got yourself a tasty and nourishing dinner meal! And since pregnancy has had me craving all the things (ahem, bad-for-you things…), these Roasted Harissa Eggplant Halves were a total win for me. 😉
I love how easy these Roasted Harissa Eggplant Halves are to make!
For this recipe, I used a pre-roasted chicken that I had made earlier in the week. You can do this by following this recipe or simply buying a roasted chicken at the store (and anyway, they always smell SO good)! I also used pre-made harissa sauce to speed things up a little. Another option is to use microwavable lentils to make this recipe a little bit easier (but if you don’t, lentils are SUPER easy to make, so no worries)!
Roasted Harissa Eggplant Halves
- 3 eggplants, halved
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp harissa sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup lentils, cooked (about 1/2 cup dry)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt, plain
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each eggplant in half and cut lines into the flesh side of each one.
- Brush 2 Tbsp olive oil and the harissa sauce evenly over the eggplant halves and place each eggplant cut side down on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Brush the remaining olive oil over the flesh side of the halves and place back in the oven (cut side down) for another 15 minutes (or until soft).
- While the eggplant is roasting, mix the cooked lentils with the spices.
- Remove the eggplant halves from the oven and top each one with dairy free yogurt, cooked chicken, cooked lentils, salt, pepper, and parsley (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!