Well…hopefully summer is in full swing in your area! It’s been a little bit cooler than usual here in Oklahoma, which probably still means pretty warm for the rest of the USA. Let’s be honest. And hey, I’m not complaining! All of us southerners know that we should enjoy less than boiling temps during the late spring/summer season!
Since Cody and I bought our house (which was only a week ago…seems like FOREVER), we’ve been over there every night working on updating little things and getting ready for our giant paint project. It’s been so fun, but also incredibly busy. Thank goodness for easy taco recipes (Healthy Sriracha Shredded Chicken Tacos, you’re my BFF) that are basically keeping us fed through this new season!
This weekend, however, we took a break from it all and just enjoyed spending time with family, friends, and…well…food. I mean, Memorial Day weekend, guyzzzz! You know how it is. Cooking out, laying in the sun, burgers, hotdogs, and all the desserts. Can you tell where this is going? ALL THE EATS WERE HAD.
Something detoxy will be on the menu tomorrow (maybe this Lentil Turmeric Detox Soup or Radish & Tangerine Quinoa Detox Salad?), but for now, we’re celebrating! My absolute all time favorite summer dessert is Strawberry Shortcake, so I’m really excited to share this Healthy Strawberry Shortcake version with you all!
About this Healthy Strawberry Shortcake situation….
YES, it’s as delicious as it looks! You can use any type of berry or fruit to top this shortcake, but strawberries just seemed appropriate for summer. Yay for it finally being strawberry season!
This cake actually had a multi-pupose function in our household. It was an after-dinner dessert, but also breakfast for Cody everyday this week. He’s super nice and likes everything I make, so at first I thought he was just being nice and making me feel good about my new recipe. But when I tried to make him eat something more “breakfast ish”, a little 10 year old boy came out of him as he resisted me as I attempted to take his giant piece of shortcake away! It was pretty funny (and slightly ADORBS).
The filling in the middle of this healthy strawberry shortcake is actually my Triple Berry Chia Seed Jam recipe! You can use regular strawberry jam, too. Or fill it with fresh strawberries! Lots of options here, friend. The sugar-free glaze is simply made by mixing together erythritol sweetener (which is derived from the alcohols in sugar and has no calories), unsweetened almond milk, and plain greek yogurt. It’s so easy to make!
Watch how I made this Healthy Strawberry Shortcake!
Healthy Strawberry Shortcake w/ Sugar-Free Glaze
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 packets stevia (about 1 tsp)
- pinch of salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam (optional)
- 5 fresh strawberries (topping)
- 1/4 cup erythritol sweetener
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened milk
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the dry cake ingredients together.
- Separately, combine the remaining cake ingredients (except for the strawberry jam and the fresh strawberries).
- Combine the dry ingredients mix with the remaining cake ingredients.
- Pour into 2 oiled 6-inch cake pans (or 1 tall 6-inch cake pan) and bake for about 35 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
- While the cakes are baking, mix the icing ingredients together and set aside.
- Once the cakes have finished baking, spread the strawberry jam between the 2 layers and stack.
- Pour the icing over the entire cake and top with fresh strawberries.
- Serve and enjoy!