Vegan Lemon Cake Recipe
I recently made this cake for my husband’s birthday, and my kids LOVED it. My toddler, who’s allergic to dairy and eggs, especially loved it!
There’s just something about the combination of lemon and blueberry that never fails to impress. This cake recipe takes that classic pairing to the next level with its light and fluffy texture, and zesty lemon glaze that perfectly complements the sweetness of the blueberries. Friends, there really is nothing like this Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe for the ultimate dairy-free and egg-free sweet treat!
You’ll Also Love: The BEST Vegan Zucchini Bread
To make this delicious Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Baking Powder/Soda
- Vegan Butter – Any type of vegan and plant-based butter works great!
- Almond Milk – If you don’t have almond milk on hand, any type of plant-based milk will work!
- Lemon Juice/Zest – I like using fresh lemon juice for the best lemon flavor! And if you don’t have fresh lemon juice on hand, here’s a list of The Best Substitutes for Lemon Juice in Recipes.
- Blueberries – Fresh or frozen (or a combination of both) are delicious in this recipe.
RELATED: The BEST Vegan Caramel Sauce
How to Make Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake
Once you have all your ingredients, it’s time to start baking! The recipe is simple and easy to follow, so even if you’re not an experienced baker, you’ll be able to make this cake with ease. Here’s how to make a Vegan Lemon Cake with blueberries:
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cream the softened, vegan butter and mix with sugar and lemon zest.
- Alternate mixing the dry ingredients, butter sugar mixture, and liquid ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the vegan cake batter into a prepared bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Let cool, then carefully flip over and remove from the pan, allowing it to further cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing ingredients and drizzle over the cake.
TIP: Don’t have a bundt pan? You can also use round cake pans to make a layer cake! Try adding blueberry jam, preserves, or even vegan lemon curd in between the layers for a truly incredible cake!
How to Store
This cake can be stored at room temperature for about 2-3 days, then moved into the refrigerator to be kept for another 2-3 days. Another option is to store the cake in the freezer! Place the sliced cake in an airtight container or individual bags, then freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the vegan cake slices in the refrigerator and enjoy!
More Lemon Recipes
Have extra lemons on hand? Here are a few other recipe ideas I know you’ll love!
More Vegan Desserts You’ll Love
- Vegan Cookie Bars (Gluten-Free)
- Heavenly Hunks (Copycat Recipe)
- Vegan Pecan Pie
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Vegan Butterfinger Cheesecake
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease or spray baking oil into a bundt pan.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small separate bowl stir, the sugar and lemon zest together.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter, making sure to scrape the sides down.
- Add in the sugar and lemon mixture, mixing until well combined.
- Starting with the dry ingredients, alternate adding the dry ingredients, the butter sugar mixture, and each of the liquid ingredients (lemon juice, almond milk, and applesauce) into your mixing bowl, combining after each addition.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes before turning it out to continue cooling on a cooling rack.
- Whisk the icing ingredients together.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake, cut into slices, and enjoy!