Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Trust me on this advice: double the recipe, because these will go FAST! Goodness, these cookies are worth obsessing over. Every bite is absolute perfection! You’d never even know that they’re actually gluten-free. Made with oat flour (or ground/blended rolled oats), these cookies are soft, gooey, and taste so amazing!
Whether you’re making them for a get-together, a gluten-free treat for a friend, or just a wholesome evening dessert, everyone will love how delicious these oat flour cookies are!
RELATED: 25+ Healthy Baking Recipes
What You’ll Need
Oat Flour – I love using this store-bought oat flour for gluten-free recipes, but you can also make your own by blending rolled oats into a fine, flour-like texture.
Butter – There’s nothing like the flavor of real butter in cookies. However, coconut oil and vegan butter are both wonderful dairy-free alternatives!
Brown/Granulated Sugar – A mix of brown sugar (light or dark – your choice!) and granulated sugar sweetens this recipe to perfection!
Egg – The egg in this recipe helps bind the ingredients together and helps with the texture of these cookies. Looking for a vegan alternative? A flax egg replacement works, too!
Tapioca Starch – You’ll only need a little bit of tapioca starch (or tapioca flour) for the perfect cookie texture! Don’t have this ingredient on hand? Cornstarch also works as a great substitution!
Vanilla Extract/Salt/Baking Soda – These ingredients are chocolate chip cookie essentials.
Chocolate Chips – Regular chocolate chips, vegan chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chips (my personal favorite) – the options are endless here!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oat Flour
Making chocolate chip cookies with oat flour is one of the easiest desserts ever! Here’s how to put together this Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe:
- Beat the softened butter, sugar (brown and granulated), egg, and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough on a baking sheet and bake for 12-16 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
TIP: Add a few extra chocolate chips and a sprinkle of flaky salt over each cookie before baking to take this recipe to the next level!
How to Make the BEST Oat Flour Cookies
- Make sure the butter is softened at room temperature (not melted) for best results. It takes about 30-45 minutes to soften butter at room temp, so if you can plan ahead for this, it really makes a difference!
- If you’re in a rush, heat the butter up for a few seconds at a time in the microwave, stirring often to get the butter to a softened state, keeping it from fully melting.
- After scooping the cookie dough onto the baking pan, feel free to chill the dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour for even better cookies
Storing These Cookies
Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are stored just like classic chocolate chip cookies! The key is to really let them fully cool before storing them away. Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, then move them to the fridge and store them for up to 2 weeks!
You can also freeze these cookies (or even the raw cookie dough) for later. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months, then simply warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds before enjoying!
More Healthy Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
- Healthier Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- Spiced Eggnog Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Did you make this healthy cookie recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the softened butter to a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the brown and granulated sugar, then beat together for about 1 minute.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in the oat flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and salt, then beat until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
- Use a two tablespoon cookie scoop (or large spoon) and scoop into balls. Place on the baking sheet, keeping enough space for spreading. I recommend no more than 6 cookies per sheet.
- If desired, place a few extra chocolate chips and a sprinkle of flaky salt on top of each cookie!
- Bake for 12-16 minutes, depending on your oven and how soft you like them. They will continue to harden as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
- This recipe can make 12 large cookies or 16-18 small cookies.