Who doesn’t love a good taco recipe? And with the weather warming up, I’ve been really feeling tacos for dinner almost every night. This Baja Shrimp Taco recipe has been on repeat because it’s so easy to make, made slightly healthier, and is just SO GOOD. Not to mention, these tacos can be made in just 30 minutes (or less)!
Put them together for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, or set up a taco bar for a fun gathering with friends. Either way, you’ll definitely want these Baja Shrimp Tacos on your list of spring and summer recipe ideas!
RELATED: 25+ BEST Healthy Taco Recipes
Table of Contents
Here are a few notes about the ingredients you’ll need for Baja Shrimp Tacos:
Large Cooked Shrimp – Any size of cooked shrimp works great. Make sure that the shrimp are cooked, deveined, tails off, and thawed out before starting this recipe!
Almond Flour – Using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour is a healthy (and gluten-free) swap for these tacos. However, all-purpose or whole wheat flour will work, too!
Shrimp Seasoning – It’s all about the seasoning! Ancho chili powder, cumin, and a little bit of salt and pepper add so much flavor to the shrimp.
Plain Greek Yogurt – The base of the sauce is made from plain whole milk Greek yogurt. Light sour cream is another great option!
Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar adds a tangy flavor to the sauce that’s unlike any other! White wine vinegar is a wonderful substitute as well.
Lime Juice – A squeeze of lime juice is essential in Baja Tacos!
Honey – A small amount of honey (or agave syrup) adds just a touch of sweetness to the spicy and tangy creamy sauce. It may sound crazy, but it really helps to bring the slaw flavors out and tie it all together in this recipe!
Sauce Seasoning – Smoked paprika, garlic, chipotle powder (or regular chili powder for non-spicy), and a little salt take this Baja sauce to another level.
Shredded Cabbage & Carrots – A mixture of shredded green cabbage, shredded red cabbage, and matchstick carrots make up the slaw veggies. Don’t have time to cut up the vegetables? Buy a pre-packed slaw, instead (Trader Joe’s has a great one)!
Whole Wheat Tortillas – I used whole wheat tortillas in this recipe, but regular flour tortillas, low-carb tortillas, or even corn tortillas work great, too!
Taco Toppings – Add chopped red onion, cilantro, cotija cheese, or anything else you like!
How to Make Baja Shimp Tacos
You can whip up these delicious Baja Shrimp Tacos in just 30 minutes or less! They are INCREDIBLY easy to make. Here’s how to make Baja Shrimp Tacos:
1. Coat the Shrimp
Pat the shrimp dry and coat them in a mix of Baja taco seasoning and almond flour.
2. Mix the Sauce
This sauce is yogurt based for a healthier alternative to mayonnaise, but sour cream works great, too. Simply mix together plain whole milk Greek yogurt, vinegar, lime juice, honey, garlic, and seasoning in a large bowl!
3. Make the Slaw
Chop the greed cabbage and red cabbage, then mix together with matchstick carrots. Add in most of the sauce for a creamy coleslaw mix that takes these tacos to another level!
4. Cook the Shrimp
Next up, cook or “fry” the shrimp in a little bit of oil in a large skillet for about 5-7 minutes!
5. Make Baja Shrimp Tacos
Heat up the tortillas, then layer the tacos with slaw, Baja shrimp, onion, cheese, cilantro, and leftover sauce. Add any other toppings you like and enjoy!
Refrigerating/Freezing Baja Shrimp
Want to refrigerate and/or freeze any leftover Baja shrimp? Simply place the cooked shrimp in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, it’s best to heat up the shrimp on a sheet pan in the oven at 350 degrees F until warm (about 12-15 minutes)! You can also microwave the shrimp, but reheating in the oven is a better method to prevent them from getting soggy.
More Baja Shrimp Taco Topping Ideas
There are so many delicious ways to top off these Baja Shrimp Tacos! Here are a few ideas:
- Shredded Cheese (instead of Cotija)
- Pickled Red Onion
- Avocado Slices
- Mango Salsa
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love
- Baked Mahi Mahi Tacos
- The BEST Chicken Fajita Tacos
- Sriracha Lime Shrimp Tacos Recipe
- Vegan Chipotle Chickpea Tacos
- Healthy Sriracha Shredded Chicken Tacos
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below and tag your photos @jar.of.lemons!
The BEST Baja Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound large shrimp, cooked, deveined, tails-off (thawed and patted dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Slaw & Taco Toppings
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Season The Shrimp
- Prepare the shrimp and pat them dry.
- Mix the ancho chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and almond flour together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shrimp in and mix to coat evenly and set aside.
Make The Sauce
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, lime juice, honey, smoked paprika, garlic, chili powder, and salt together.
- Set aside.
Mix The Slaw
- Mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
- Add in about 3/4 of the sauce and mix to coat evenly.
- Set aside.
Cook The Shrimp
- Heat the avocado oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp in the oil for about 5-7 minutes, or until the seasoning coating begins to brown and the shrimp are evenly warm.
Make Baja Shrimp Tacos
- While the shrimp are cooking, heat the tortillas on a separate burner.
- Layer each tortilla with the slaw mixture, Baja shrimp, chopped red onion, cotija cheese, a drizzle of extra sauce, and chopped cilantro.
- This recipe makes 4 large tacos or 6 small tacos.
Leave a Reply