Did you know that combining rice and beans makes a complete protein? On their own, they contain incomplete plant proteins. However, combined together, the amino acids are complete! A vegetarian match made in heaven.
Growing up in a hispanic family, rice and beans were a staple for us. We typically made Gallo Pinto multiple times a week and I still love making it to this day. Today, we’re mixing it up with savory Spanish flavors and a combination of easy-to-find pantry ingredients in this delicious Spanish Rice & Beans recipe!
Want to add more veggies to your meal? Try out this Mexican Cauliflower Rice recipe and add beans to it!
What you need
There are lots of ways to make this recipe your own! Here’s what I used in this recipe and options for different variations.
- Rice: Brown or white! I used brown rice, but see notes for adjusted cooking times if you choose to make this with white rice.
- Beans: Red beans, pinto beans, or black beans.
- Broth: Vegetable or chicken broth.
- Tomato Sauce: Diced tomatoes also work great!
- Dried Onion/Garlic: I used dried onion & garlic since it’s what I had on hand, but fresh is delicious as well.
- Spices: Paprika, cumin, cayenne, dried cilantro, salt, and pepper!
Tips for making Spanish Rice & Beans
- Make sure that the rice is fluffy and has soaked up all of the broth before adding in the other ingredients. If the rice is too dry, add more broth. If there’s still liquid left, remove the lid and allow some of the liquid to evaporate as you cook the rice a bit longer.
- Once you’ve cooked the rice, quickly add in the rest of the ingredients, mix until evenly heated, and remove from heat.
- This recipe can be prepped in advance and served throughout the week!
- Feel free to make a big batch and freeze half of it for later.
What to serve with rice & beans
More recipes you’ll love
- Creamy Healthy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- 30-Minute Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Easy Mexican Barbacoa Tacos
Spanish Rice & Beans
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- 2 cups brown rice (see notes for white rice)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 2 cups red kidney beans
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- Cook the rice in the oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Add in the broth and allow to simmer, covered, for about 17-20 minutes (or until the rice absorbs the liquid and is fluffy).
- Add in the tomato sauce and stir.
- Add in the spices and stir.
- Add in the beans and continue cooking for about 5 minutes (or until everything is evenly warm).
- Serve and enjoy!