With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about Thanksgiving food! I love this Mashed Red Potatoes recipe for the holidays because it’s so easy to make, which is great for easing up stress on the big day. Whether you’re serving it alongside a turkey (hello, Citrus Tea-Glazed Roasted Turkey) or meatballs for the holidays (like these Turkey Swedish Meatballs or Easy Vegan Meatballs), these mashed potatoes are perfect for everyone. This recipe is creamy, garlicky, and SO SO SO yummy!
Here’s why this Creamy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes recipe is my favorite:
- It can be made in just 30 minutes!
- You can add flavor to taste.
- The recipe uses vegan butter and almond milk, which can be subbed for regular butter and milk if desired!
You and your family will absolutely love this delicious side dish!
Watch this video on how to make Creamy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find. Here’s what you’ll need:
Red Potatoes – Medium sized, about 2-3 inches in diameter.
Butter – Vegan butter or regular butter work great for this recipe!
Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk, but regular milk works great too!
Garlic Powder – Garlic powder adds so much flavor to these mashed potatoes and can be adjusted to taste.
Fresh Basil – Optional, but takes these red mashed potatoes to the next level!
How to make red skin mashed potatoes in 4 easy steps
All you need to make these mashed potatoes is a large stock pot, a potato masher, and a serving dish! Here’s how to make this mashed potatoes recipe:
1. Quarter the potatoes.
2. Boil the potatoes.
3. Mash the potatoes, add in the butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and milk.
4. Top with fresh basil, serve, and enjoy!
TIP: Remove excess water after boiling the potatoes to ensure that the mashed potatoes are thick and creamy!
Other side dish options that pair with mashed potatoes
- Roasted Chickpea Fall Salad
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole w/ Rosemary Garlic Mushrooms
- Spicy Southwest Butternut Squash Casserole
- Roasted Beets & Sweet Potato Salad
Loving this Creamy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes recipe? Be sure to give it a rating below!
Creamy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- 3 lbs red potatoes, medium (2-3″ )
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cut the red potatoes into quarters and place in a large stock pot.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Bring to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes (or until soft).
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Drain any excess water.
- Mash the red potatoes and add in the butter, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Top with fresh basil (optional) and enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of milk to the desired consistency.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of garlic, salt, and pepper to taste!
Leave a Reply