Guys, Thanksgiving is in like two weeks. That’s SO soon! Can you believe it’s already here? We’re getting ready for the holidays with the best ever Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes & Cranberry Mushroom Sauce!
Basically Thanksgiving dinner in a bowl for regular dinner. Because that’s how I roll. Gimme all the carbs in the healthiest way possible! I know you know, because it’s November, y’all!
But this is even better because it’s not just carbs. It’s protein filled mushrooms, good-for-you sautéed spinach, and organic cranberry sauce to celebrate the holidays!
Our holiday travels are actually beginning this weekend with a trip back to Texas to see Cody’s family. We haven’t been back since we moved to Oklahoma, so we’re pretty excited to see everyone!
As you can imagine, ALL THE EATS will ensue, and I will likely not even care. 1.) Because it’s November. 2.) It’s “vacation”. 3.) Balance! I eat super healthy during the week and allow myself to splurge a little during the weekend. I aim to not completely splurge the entire weekend (which I’m 100% guilty of in the recent past, if we’re being honest. This is a safe place, friend!), but just a meal or two! One of those splurge meals will definitely be Grammy’s Sunday lunch, because that’s a THING. And it’s the best thing.
It’s definitely tough to eat healthy during the holidays. Ya know? But I believe it’s possible with recipes like this one!
On that note, have you joined Healthy Fit Holidays? It’s a FREE 6-week healthy eating and fitness challenge (nutrition and fitness plans sent to your inbox every week!), ebook, and an amazing accountability group. Registration closes on Nov. 14th, so be sure to REGISTER HERE before it’s too late!
This Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes & Cranberry Mushroom Sauce is holiday comfort food meets healthy eating meets everything fall!
A couple of things you’ll need for this recipe: this potato peeler, if you want to peel the potatoes. Definitely not a requirement, but an amazing addition nonetheless! And my favorite slow cooker, which is programmable and amazing in every way. I’m all about that set it and leave it lifestyle!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes & Cranberry Mushroom Sauce
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup organic cranberry sauce
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small slices.
- Place the potatoes in the slow cooker. Add 3/4 cups of almond milk, garlic, and salt/pepper.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes to keep them from sticking to the sides.
- When the potatoes have about 30 minutes left, heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for about 5-7 minutes. Add in the spinach and lightly sauté. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat up the cranberry sauce in the same pan. Set aside.
- Using a potato masher or a stand mixer, mash the potatoes. Add in the remaining almond milk and continue to mash to desired texture.
- Serve mashed potatoes in two bowls, topping with the sautéed mushrooms, spinach, and cranberry sauce. Enjoy!