What’s Thanksgiving without green bean casserole??? With this holiday only a little over a week away, we’re getting ready by adding a healthy and foodie twist to this traditional side dish. Good bye boring casserole, hello Vegan Green Bean Casserole w/ Rosemary Garlic Mushrooms!
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are products that I know, trust, and love!
As in the creamiest and tastiest! This side dish can make a meal in and of itself by adding your protein of choice. Then you’ll have a healthy weeknight dinner in addition to a delicious Thanksgiving side dish! You can also add the Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes & Cranberry Mushroom Sauce recipe for a little extra holiday goodness!
Guys, I’m pretty much beyond excited about Thanksgiving. Since I’m a little bit food-obsessed, it’s easy for me to end up turning this holiday of delicious eats into a week of unhealthy eats! In an effort to stay healthy (yet festive), I’ve come up with an alternative solution to make the holiday last. It might sound clique, but what if we focused our thoughts on what we’re grateful for? And to take it a step further, what if we replaced every negative thought about what we don’t have, what we wished we had, where we wished we were, what we wished to accomplish, with thoughts about what we DO have, where we CURRENTLY are, and what we HAVE accomplished?
Honestly, this is a little bit of a tough one for me because I tend to be a “realistic” thinker. I’m definitely not one to be overly positive or hopeful, but I know that there’s such a joy that comes when we think about what we’re grateful for! I want to challenge us (myself SUPER included) to try to consistently think this way for the next week and through Thanksgiving. Think of it like a mind cleanse!
And then on that special day, we can celebrate with this Vegan Green Bean Casserole w/ Rosemary Garlic Mushrooms!
For this recipe, you’ll need a few things:
You can also make your own crispy onions (like I did) by covering onion slices in oil and bread crumbs, then baking for about 20 minutes. Another option is to make your own cashew butter by blending cashews into a peanut butter consistency!
Vegan Green Bean Casserole w/ Rosemary Garlic Mushrooms
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 cup crispy onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add in green beans, then lower heat. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the garlic and coconut oil over medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour, then cook about 2 minutes. Next, mix the broth, milk, and cashew butter together. Add to the mushrooms and continue to cook until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat, add rosemary.
- Place the green beans in a casserole dish. Top with the rosemary garlic mushrooms and mix in. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top the casserole with the crispy onions. Serve hot and enjoy!