Current state of being: I just had a delicious and savory lunch (leftover Miso Roasted Mushroom Noodle Bowls, YUM) and le afternoon sugar cravings are in full swing! Writing this post about chocolate cake is probably not helping. I mean look at it! Creamy, sweet, decadent, soft, melt-in-your mouth. If ONLY we still had some!You guys, I have the ultimate sweet tooth. For the most part I eat pretty healthy (well…ya know….with the occasional donut or pizza slice…ok pizza box. Not sorry.), but if you put me in a room with baked goods, it’s over. And I mean OVER. No self control. I’ve tried to be the “Oh, I’ll just have one little slice” girl and it’s just not me! If that’s you, I’m so proud of ya girl. Teach me your ways. In the meantime, I’m probably better off just making a healthy chocolate cake than trying to eat just a little piece of non-healthy cake!
And anyway, this Healthy Chocolate Cake w/ Tahini-Chocolate Icing tastes just like regular chocolate cake!
So no losses there. Since it’s primarily made out of whole wheat flour, flaxseed, chia seeds, almond butter, greek yogurt and dates, I would say it’s actually a pretty major win! Also —> THIS COCOA POWDER. Absolute fave, y’all.
For the icing, I used the Tahini-Chocolate recipe from the Tahini-Chocolate Dipped Watermelon Wedges recipe! Also, did I mention you can put all of the ingredients of this healthy chocolate cake in a food processor and have it baked in about 30 minutes? SO Great!
Here’s the easy recipe:
Healthy Chocolate Cake w/ Tahini-Chocolate Icing
- 6 dates
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 bananas
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Soak the dates in water and ensure that they are pitted.
- Combine the dates, honey, and eggs in the food processor and blend. Add the almond butter, yogurt, bananas, and vanilla. Blend until the liquid is consistently smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until the batter is formed.
- Pour the cake into an oiled pan (I used 2 6-inch round pans) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the Tahini-Chocolate Icing recipe from the Tahini-Chocolate Dipped Watermelon post. Set aside.
- Let the cakes cool, then top with icing. Serve and enjoy!